[ SHOWGSD-L ] not BSL but....

  • From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:35:07 EDT

I woke up this morning to find out that Chatham County has passed more
animal control legislation.  This only applies to "unincorportated" Chatham
county
(Savannah, GA, and surrounding area is Chatham county).  We are in a
neighboring county (Bryan), but if you think the PAWS regulations are strict
look at
this:

The new law:

*bans tethers
*bans dogs from riding in the back of pickup trucks
*bans exotic and wild animals being kept as pets, including but not limited
to monkeys, raccoons, wild felines, and non-venomous reptiles weighing more
than  50 pounds.
*allows officers to break windows to remove animal from hot vehicle
*limits the number of cats in one house to eight
*increases license fees.  Neutered & spayed animals cost $5.   Unneutered and
spayed animals cost $35
*extends the time animals are kept at te animal control shelter from 3 to 5
days before euthanasia
*REQUIRES ANYONE WHO SELLS MORE THAN ONE LITTER OF ANIMALS OR MORE THAN
THREE ADULT ANIMALS A YEAR TO OPTAIN A COMMERCIAL PET ANIMAL FACILITY  LICENSE

This ordinance is a result of a public outcry from a situation last year
when a man was convicted of 7 counts of animal cruelty for condition in which
he
kept 129 pit bulls.

Now, tell me how we go from someone having 129 dogs to having to get a
license for more than ONE litter or 3 adults?????

This isn't my county, but it could be, or it could be yours!

Julie Degen