[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: leaving

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "frank fasano" <f.fasano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, arelee@xxxxxxxxxxx, Danannkennel@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 22:09:55 -0600

Kris makes some excellent points...I think ads in Dog World..Dog Fancy
would be excellent avenues to attract novices. We have to be as aggressive
in our "promotion" as the those who offer import lines and the WDA style of
competition are...I seem to be getting more and more calls and e-mails from
families wanting "American" bred dogs..and specifically saying they do not
want "import" lines..the reasons are many..and Lord knows..I am not going
to open that can of worms..but..nonetheless I feel there is an impending
change on the horizon..and if we don't take advantage of it..we have missed
a gold opportunity. C.Grainger

<showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 1/3/2005 7:39:50 AM
> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: leaving
>
> I totally agree and have been harping this at the Board meetings- that is
> why I am a big supporter of the mentoring program and have sought
> advertising for new members outside of our review-we need a transfusion of
> new members and fast-if anyone has good ideas where we can draw
significant
> numbers let me know- I do not think it is the handling fees, show
expenses,
> entry fees but the fact that dog shows compete with more hobbies than in
> years past and the fact that urban sprawl and legal challenges are making
it
> difficult to keep large dogs- if you think it is the expense just look
> around your town at the five hundred thousand and up homes- trust me they
> can afford to show-I am not saying that someone with less money cannot
show-
> when  we started showing we were dog poor (still are if you ask me) - if
we
> do not all seek new exhibitors now we won't be showing in specialties in
> five years-Kris-----

Clubs,
> > and the GSDCA  Futurities, National etc., as long as I am able.
> >
> > As Sally stated, "justifying the expense".
> > Income and outgo change with age also, at least for the average person.
> >
> > Beryl Eshom
> > Arelee GSD
> > Davis, Ca.

EXPRESSLY