[ SHOWGSD-L ] kenniling & bloat

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:46:16 -0800 (PST)

I will only say this.  Dogs that live in runs are more likely to die from bloat
simply because we didn't see that first sign of trouble.
If Bertha had ever been a kennel dog, she would be dead now.  She was in my
kitchen when she got sick, so was I.

I just heard of another GSD dropping dead from bloat, he was not quite a year
old.

All that really matters is that he was largely a kennel dog, was not seen early
in the bloat and died in his a co-owner's lap.

We were discussing having to keep dogs in runs and crates, well this is truly
MY biggest problem with kenneling dogs.

We loose the best of our breed to bloat, because if you don't see it in the
first minutes, you have no hope at all of saving the dog.

And if they are in runs, and not in the house, how can you know what is going
on?

As a child, with a 50 run kennel to look after, I was never happy about the
setup.  The runs were in another building from the house, so every now and then
we walked into things we were not expecting, including bloated dogs.

Each to his own, I know many of us want more dogs than we can fit in our
houses, and we live where we CAN have more dogs than we can fit in our houses,
but maybe that is not such a good thing.  Maybe.

Please, my opinion, and nothing more.  I am entitled to it.
sheila