[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: kenniling & bloat

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:04:58 -0600

At 10:46 AM 12/12/2008 -0800, you wrote:
>I will only say this.  Dogs that live in runs are more likely to die from
>bloat simply because we didn't see that first sign of trouble.
>If Bertha had ever been a kennel dog, she would be dead now.  She was in
>my kitchen when she got sick, so was I.

Luckily, in more than 30 years, I have only had 4 dogs bloat (1 is too
many).   The last
one was only a year or so ago.   If you see it, you know.   I had to take
him to an
emergency vet - called ahead about the bloat.  When I got there one of the vets
immediately examined him & told me that it was not bloat.  I insisted that
he take
pictures - he brought them back & told me how sorry that he was - I was
correct!
They did surgery & the 9 year old boy survived.   (he is lying right next
to me as
I type)  Vet told me that he was at an earlier stage than any he had
seen.   I told
him that if you had it happen before & lost the dog - you will never forget
those first
signs.
Sandy
Sandra Kozub