[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: We we are

  • From: "LEE SMITH" <ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:48:09 -0500

Large corporations often have resources small businesses and individuals do
not. This is especially true when it comes to technology, including
computers. For instance, our publishing company had a T1 line for years but
that was no longer fast enough to send the very large files we send to our
printers, so this last year we installed our own fiber optic cables. I have
a fast connection through our cable company, but it is not nearly as fast as
the office.

When I was working with Rutgers University, we had tele-conferences once a
month, but each of us was required to send the other members written updates
on all projects, which sometimes ran 100 pages. Everything was sent via
e-mail. We were all very comfortable working in an academic environment and
writing papers, so it worked. We thought about holding meetings via video
conferencing, but many of us worked out of home offices and we did not have
the video cameras and software, much less the more powerful computers needed
to handle video streaming. Of course anyone who was working out of the
university was fine, but at that time, I still had dial-up because my area
hadn't gotten cable in yet.

I'm not sure it would be fair or even in our best interest to require board
members to have the sophisticated computers, software, cameras and
connections necessary for video conferences. Talk about having to spend
out-of-pocket money to be a board member!!! I'm also certain that our board
members have different levels of computer knowledge.

I'm sure the time will come when everyone will be comfortable, but now is
not the time. I wonder how many people on this list don't have a cell phone
or don't know how to text message? Or how about a Blackberry? Does everyone
have a printer? How many people still only have access to a dial-up service?
How many people would feel comfortable having a video camera on them for 8
hours? How many people would pick their nose or scratch in inappropriate
places?

Maybe some of our committees would like to try to communicate using a video
conference. I'd be interested in hearing their experiences.

Lee Smith