[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: We we are

  • From: "LEE SMITH" <ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:22:24 -0500

This is my opinion only. I feel that the Board should be together in person
at least three times a year plus the National. During my tenure as Review
Editorial Chair and occassionaly Review Marketing Chair, I attended 90
percent of Board meetings for almost 10 years. I have never been a Board
member, yet Board meetings were very important to my functioning
effectively.

Far more goes on at Board meetings that just the meeting itself. Many
committees get together and also meet. Gail Sprock, Arizona; Cyndy Davis,
Washington, myself in Pennsylvania and Ginny Altman from the Great Midwest
always met, even if it was over dinner. I wouldn't have stayed on the OB
committee as long as I have (or maybe not a t all) if it hadn't been for the
opportunity to get to know Lori and Dalene. I worked with Gene Tenges and
later Bill Pfeiffer on budgets and I gained a tremendous respect for both of
them and the time they spent on Club business.

Quite frankly there were people I worked with who I was sure I would dislike
or I thought were jerks or stupid or worse, but once I had the chance to
work with them  they turned out to be smart, dedicated, talented,
hard-working and often terrific fun. It is so easy to point fingers at
people you don't really know. It is even easier to distrust someone you've
never met in person and it is so much easier to believe terrible things
about someone from afar. This is a Club that loves to distrust people and
can be paranoid at times. How many times have people said terrible things
about other people's motives yet they have never met the person or even
talked to them on the phone? How many times have I heard someone make a
comment about how the "little people" don't count because a pin was late or
someone didn't return a phone call? How many times have I read comments on
this List about people who are "out to destroy the Club" because their
opinion was different from someone elses?  Or how about painting everyone on
the Board with the same black brush and referring to them as "The Board?" I
simply can't image this Club working without the Board members meeting
face-to-face and learning what I have learned. Board members are doing their
best with what they have to offer. I tend to have much more faith in people
I meet and it is much easier for me to judge their character and intentions.