[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The club problems, as I see it

  • From: "Mo Murkland" <murk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:59:48 -0600

Ileana,
    I am on the mentoring committee and have 2 clubs. I had a long heart to
heart with my contact in one of the clubs recently and we agree with you.
The problem stems from people paying their dues.....and doing nothing else!
They may be "old timers" or whatever. We talked of this very thing....to
remain a member in good standing you must make X number of meetings a year,
and participate in X number of events. It is so hard for us to get the
Mentoring program off and running when the clubs are having the trouble they
are with the existing members, let alone the new ones! God knows I
understand that the entries, handlers, all get very expensive and showing in
conformation is rough for sure, unless you are independently wealthy. You
still do what you can for the clubs you love, but there does come a point
Honey, you have to say...enough is enough. I see it more and more in
Texas............2-3 people are putting on the shows and doing 98% of the
work........that just isn't right. I am sure it isn't ONLY a Texas thing
either! So, hang in there! Know you ROCK......and we love you Gal! Mo

> How about requiring members to attend a minimum of let's say 2 or 3
meetings
> per year to keep their memberships active, and participate in a match,  a
> show, an educational program?  Or is this too demanding? How can you say
this is
> too demanding and them complain about having no one to work at the  clubs?
> What if this clause was part of the membership application, that  way
everyone
> would know what they are getting themselves into.  And be held
accountable.