[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The club problems, as I see it

  • From: CherlynGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: murk@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:54:47 EST

Hi Y'all .....

Yes many clubs go through the ups and downs of being  short on funds, workers
and members. We are all looking for the  magical combination of what works to
pull the club together and have fun! Oooops  did I say fun! Yeah I guess I
did .... because 22 years ago I joined the GSDC of  Greater New Haven to show
my
dogs and have fun ... with my dogs and other people  that love this breed and
have a common interest in the breed as I do. Over the  years I have seen and
been through many changes in the club. Change is a key  word to keep the club
alive. If you have been doing something for years and it  no longer gets you
where you want to go, change or modify it to keep it fresh  and interesting.
Ask the membership what they want to do and do  it!

We all know that the clubs don't make a killing on their Specialty  shows but
we all want them, so have them, have the judges that you want but  during the
year hold matches, herding seminars, Temperament Tests, Breed Surveys  or any
other fun events that draw people, dogs and funds. Hold raffles, 50  /50
usually works because people like to win money.  Have reasonably priced
advertising in your catalogs or a General Trophy fund. As for the workers ...
the
members that want these events will work them, just give them the  chance.

Making requirements to someone's membership can back fire. We tried  that.
When someone is told that they must do something they tend to become  defensive
and back off (not come to meetings or help at events) after all, all  these
clubs are made up of volunteers that really just what to enjoy their  dogs in
the ring that they like best.

Lyn Chernak