[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The STANDARD is a moving target

  • From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'showgsd-l'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:55:07 -0700

I love long coats, they are gorgeous as puppies and even as adults. At one
time I had too many in one litter, kept 2. I was a newbie and did not check
the pedigrees well enough.
I was not at the last National where the coated class was introduced for the
first time. But from what I hear there were only a few shown which leads me
to believe that we could not have make a heck of a lot of money on that
class. So, this obviously did not work moneywise. Am definitely not in favor
of showing the whites at our Specialties or National.
But what do I know? My son bought a white one for my grandson!! Figure!
Lee F.

From:  On Behalf Of edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 7:19
AM
To: showgsd-lSubject: The STANDARD is a moving target

  I read on the list that the board is forming committees to maybe allow
long coats or whites into the standard?....whether they  are or not is
really not the point of my post. The Board of Directors as I understand it
is to act on our behalf to ensure the protection and advancement of the
breed. That in itself covers a broad scope of issues, the standard being one
of those issues....some things I guess the board can do on its own and some
require a vote b y the membership. Getting back to the standard, IT HAS
ALWAYS BEEN SUBJECT TO CHANGE.....look at the winning dogs and Grand
Victors of the 50's 60's and even the 70's....those dogs don't look much
like the dogs winning in the ring today  ...many talk about "dumbing down
the standard"... I don't understand that argument...WE decide what the
standard is, good or bad....I hear the mis-leading statement of " function
must follow form'  or is it the other way around.....the GSD does not need
to conform to the AKC conformation standard to do the work it was intended
to do!......most herding, working, and protection dogs I've seen would NOT
win in our show ring.....most German Shepherds in general would not win in
in our conformation rings.....up to this point I'm sure I have angered many
of you, so let me now say this...there is nothing wrong with creating a
standard to create a smooth gaiting dog with wonderful suspension, a great
temperament and drive.......with beauty and "type".....but sometimes as a
group we get carried away and cry out "the shy is falling" anytime some one
suggests changing something about our standard....the majority rules anyway
doesn't it?.....on a side note we bitch about many things the board does or
does not do and we vote the same ones in year after year...but that a whole
other subject... Ed Hill

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group and
its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in any post.