[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The GSDCA we are all over the place!

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:47:28 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 1/31/12, Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Our breed is the 2nd most registered breed in the AKC.  Yet our membership
is dwindling to the point that we may be extinct as a club, in several
years.   Our members are not renewing (why?)<

>I thoughts on this...
The GSD being the 2nd most registered breed in the AKC is the answer "AKC".   A
person that breeds a GSD does not need to be a member of the GSDCA to register
their dogs.  Dog breeds as I have always understood
it are rated by the number of pups registered that year in the breed.
Puppy mills, any person with a male and female etc.  do not care to pay
a fee to belong to the GSDCA.

The economy effects what a person spends money on my horse breed membership is
$70 a year and the magazine is extra $35 if you want that.  The GSDCA at least
includes their magazine for their membership fee.  However, if I am not a
member of my horse breed membership I pay extra for my magazine, registering my
foals, stallion reports, but I do get my motels, car rentals at cut rates and
several stores discounts, etc.   They offer for a small fee all the horse
registered from the beginning on line so any pedigree you would like to look up
is there.  The GSDCA does not offer this and if you want to know a dogs
pedigree you need to contact the AKC.  AKC states that when they closed the
books on all the breeds it was turned over to the each breed assn.  So why does
the GSDCA not offer a service to trace back the GSD pedigrees now?

Theresa