[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The GSDCA we are all over the place!

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:38:58 -0500

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 11:35:57 -0800, Kathy Tank
<rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Karen,
>Linkedin is also a place to communicate with like minded people and groups.
>Yes it has group listings as well.  The GSDCA IS a business, an non -
>profit corp.

I already admitted I know next to nothing about LinkedIn.

>Flickr is a place to post photos , videos and comments.  Period.

True. However...

>We welcome "official" photos of wins, and events

YOU may welcome them, but Flickr does not! As I understand
the law, only the original photographer owns the copyright
to "win" photos, and it is against Flickr TOS to post or
distribute images that are not yours:

"Don?t upload anything that isn't yours.
This includes other people's photos, video, and/or stuff
you've copied or collected from around the Internet.
Accounts that consist primarily of such collections may be
deleted at any time."

In my opinion, it would be better to keep those particular
photos off Flickr and use Facebook instead. Do not "F"
with Flickr on this; they mean what they say and will
protect their TOS vigorously. Several of my doll friends
have had their paying accounts deleted because they used
their photos to sell on Ebay or private sales groups!

>as well as photos videos of families and their GSDS.  You can't
>do that on most "Lists" or chats ...

Yes. You most certainly CAN. On YahooGroups lists, the
list owner can enable posting of photos, videos or
anything else he or she so desires.

>we wanted to give people every opportunity to share in the love of the breed.

No arguments there.

>What you may be missing is that the intent of,  actually  using 21 Century
>communication and social media is to generate interest in, and help drive
>traffic to, our clubs, our breed.  WE MUST REACH OUT TO YOUNGER
>PEOPLE AND NEW PEOPLE.

Kathy, you obviously don't know me because you are
preaching to the choir here. I know all about 21st Century
communications and social media and its popularity. I do
not choose to participate in much of it because it is
silly and I enjoy my privacy, but that doesn't mean I
don't keep up on everything that's going on.

>Participation is down on the list, yes...but the list is a CLOSED group,
>and it is generally the same people posting about, mostly the same topics to
>one degree or another.  It is a valuable asset, but it is not visible by
>anyone other that it's own members...so it does not particularly target
>pet owners etc.  In it's own statement it says right up front
> "To further and to promote the AKC/CKC/GSDCA/GSDCC style of conformation
>showing and breeding of German Shepherd Dogs"
>
>While this is good, it is still a PRIVATE group that isn't reaching out to
>the worldwide community of GSD lovers.

Then the obvious solution would be to open this list to
everyone. Or... Since that is most likely not possible or
wanted, the next best thing would be to open an "official"
GSDCA discussion list via YahooGroups that is open to the
general public. And I say that with much trepidation as I
do realize that opening yet another list would only serve
to dilute participation in this one even more.  :(

>Our breed is the 2nd most registered breed in the AKC.  Yet our membership
>is dwindling to the point that we may be extinct as a club, in several years.

Dwindling membership... indeed... dwindling participation
in dog showing and even the breeding and ownership of
purebred dogs is a problem across all breeds. It is not
limited to the GSDCA.  Hasn't anyone been listening to
what Stormy's been saying for all these many years?

>Our members are not renewing (why?)

Do you REALLY have to ask???

>The Facebook page was very ,very well received.

Yes, I know. I am a member there also.

>New times, new challenges call for new ideas!  :-)

Agreed. But I still disagree with the idea of GSDCA (or
any dog club, really) on Flickr. It's not the venue, and
*that* is what got my Irish up today and prompted me to
pop out of the gopher hole.  ;)

http://www.flickr.com/about/  Do you see anything on there
about promoting clubs of any kind to the general public?

Flickr is where you go if you'd like to learn how to take
better pictures of your GSD, share those pictures with
others and learn to be a better photographer via comments
placed on your pictures by other Flickr members. Your
enthusiasm is hugely commendable but I feel, in this
instance, poorly placed. In fact, I'm willing to bet that
the vast majority of people who post dog pictures to
Flickr not only have zero interest in dog clubs or pure
breeds, but would be actively in opposition to them.
People on Flickr are there to promote better photography
and to simply enjoy photography of all types. Please don't
try to make it something it is not. How do I know this?
I've been a Flickreeno myself for several years.  ;)

Cheers all!  :)
--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx