[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Subject: A stud by any other name is still just a stud....

  • From: RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx
  • To: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx, rockannand@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Gsdstyle@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:26:30 EDT

In a message dated 10/24/2008 2:52:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx writes:
Have  read both sides of the argument on this, and have mixed  feelings so of

course here's the reason.

My first shepherd in the early 70's was  in my eye the  best dog ever, but I
had never been to a dog show or  really looked at  "great" shepherds.  She
did
obedience training  (think we all started  there) and got her CD.  I wanted
breed  her because she was so  smart and beautiful in my eye.  She was a
silver
sable, a little  square with a good back, dark eyes and nice  feet, though I
did not know  that then.But she sure lacked pigment  and angulation.   I
managed
to get Don and Ann Brown's  name, Sybarite GSD's, and called to  breed to a
dog....any  dog.   They asked me to come over and  bring the bitch.   They
had
some stunning animals, though I still had  no idea what made  them that.
They
were so kind to me and my Astra,  and I ended  up breeding to a Morgan son.
They
charged me $100 so it  was  not about the money for them, with the promise I
would  bring  the  pups over and let Ann evaluate the litter.  Agreed.
It was  their was of being kind and trying to educate.
This relationship  turned into a many year mentorship, close  friendship and
long term  dedication on my part to this breed.  There  were many who
gathered
at their place weekly, their door was always  open.   We  all learned
together.

So, if they had slammed their door on me then,  would I still  be in this 36
years later?? Don't think so.
It is  an odd balance when someone calls to breed to your  dog.  You have  to
take the time to feel them out, see their purpose,  see their  bitch and be
kind!!   To offer  suggestions.....
Doors  that slam hard are difficult to open.

By the way, 3 of the 4 pups from  that bitch went into pet  homes and had a
great life, living many  years. Were they mediocre,  maybe.  1 bitch I kept
at
Ann's  suggestion...she won a couple large  puppy matches and got her Ch.
...................hooked  for life!!  And I was so  disappointed my silver
girl
had no silver  babies!!!  LOL

Molly

Molly,
What a beautiful story!  Makes me think of  the days gone  by, when it was
all so much fun and educational.  People helped their  friends, but for no
other
reason than a mutual love and passion for this  breed.  Gone are those days.
How sad.

Randy C.
no registration required and great graphics â?? check it out!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1211202682x1200689022/aol?redirhttp://www.games.com?ncid=emlcntusgame00000001)