[ SHOWGSD-L ] Subject: A stud by any other name is still just a stud....

  • From: Gsdstyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:35:51 EDT

I know for Steve and I the purpose of having a stud dog is to try to help
improve the breed. I bet all of us who own stud dogs believe that our dog
represents the standard, and pretty much our vision of what the breed should
be.
Trust me, and if you've ever owned a stud dog you know, it's not worth the
aggravation if you don't believe that!

I know that when Steve and I started in the conformation side of  the breed,
we bought the best bitch we thought we could find for the money that  we had.
Admittedly, she did not turn out to be show quality. But she had what we
considered a great pedigree, and we bred her to improve our line. I'm sure
others
thought her pedigree wasn't great. But if a stud dog owner that we
approached to breed turned us down because they didn't think our bitch was good
 enough
for them, we most likely would have been completely turned off and left  the
breed and probably the hobby. Instead, the stud dog owner encouraged us,
mentored us, and supported us as we went along.

If someone comes to you with a bitch that you think your stud can help
improve any faults in her pups, why not you take an opportunity to engage them
in
discussions about the faults and the breed and educate them about the purpose
of breeding? If you think your stud is not going to help, or even make
matters  worse, why not take the opportunity to tell them that, and help them
find a
stud  that might help them breed out whatever faults their bitch has? The
owner could  be someone who has the potential of becoming an active,
contributing member in the breed and in the club, and gain from  you and the
breeding
some valuable insight.

It's not really about the money at all.................

Pat
Sel CH  Gus ROM; 3x Sel CH Trouble ROM; CH Maddy; CH Tia; CH Ben; CH Tarzan;
BOF Piper  _www.gsdstyle.com_ (http://www.gsdstyle.com/)  and check out photos
at  _www.snowheronstudios.com_ (http://www.snowheronstudios.com/)
no registration required and great graphics â?? check it out!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1211202682x1200689022/aol?redirhttp://www.games.com?ncid=emlcntusgame00000001)