[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Subject: A stud by any other name is still just a stud....

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: rockannand@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Gsdstyle@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:16:52 EDT

Have read both sides of the argument on this, and have mixed  feelings so of
course here's the reason.

My first shepherd in the early 70's was in my eye the  best dog ever, but I
had never been to a dog show or really looked at  "great" shepherds.  She did
obedience training (think we all started  there) and got her CD.  I wanted to
breed her because she was so  smart and beautiful in my eye.  She was a silver
sable, a little  square with a good back, dark eyes and nice feet, though I
did not know  that then.But she sure lacked pigment and angulation.   I
managed
to get Don and Ann Brown's name, Sybarite GSD's, and called to  breed to a
dog....any dog.   They asked me to come over and  bring the bitch.  They had
some stunning animals, though I still had  no idea what made them that.  They
were so kind to me and my Astra,  and I ended up breeding to a Morgan son.
They
charged me $100 so it  was not about the money for them, with the promise I
would  bring the  pups over and let Ann evaluate the litter.  Agreed.
It was their was of being kind and trying to educate.
This relationship turned into a many year mentorship, close  friendship and
long term dedication on my part to this breed.  There  were many who gathered
at their place weekly, their door was always  open.   We all learned together.

So, if they had slammed their door on me then, would I still  be in this 36
years later?? Don't think so.
It is an odd balance when someone calls to breed to your  dog.  You have to
take the time to feel them out, see their purpose,  see their bitch and be
kind!!   To offer  suggestions.....
Doors that slam hard are difficult to open.

By the way, 3 of the 4 pups from that bitch went into pet  homes and had a
great life, living many years. Were they mediocre,  maybe.  1 bitch I kept at
Ann's suggestion...she won a couple large  puppy matches and got her Ch.
...................hooked  for life!!  And I was so disappointed my silver girl
had no silver  babies!!! LOL

Molly

Trillia German Shepherds  since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont  (recording secretary), Life member CKC
"The greatest discovery of any  generation is that a human being
can alter his life by altering his  attitude"-William  James
no registration required and great graphics â?? check it out!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1211202682x1200689022/aol?redirhttp://www.games.com?ncid=emlcntusgame00000001)