[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Scared of raw

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: caretti1@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:18:29 -0500

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:58:57 +0000, caretti1@xxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

>As I said in my first post, I am not trying to start a food war.  I
>am, however,  interested in learning other folks experiences and
>opinions...including the opinion of your vet. Thank you for sharing.
>Cyndi

Well, I just got back from my vet with my English setter,
Moon. He was there for his annual Spring checkup and HW
pull. I also asked for a complete blood work and thyroid
test. We started feeding basically raw in October 2008,
though I still include some good, grain-free kibble and
all-meat canned foods plus cooked human food/table scraps
a few times a week because the dogs enjoy it. So I was
interested in seeing what his blood work would look to
make sure that we are hitting all the nutritional bases.
But, this was the first visit of one of our dogs to the
vet since starting raw. I knew the question would come up
because of the blood work request in a healthy young male.

When our vet (a new vet, btw, just out of school within
the last 10 years - wonderful guy!) heard we were raw
feeding, I immediately got the lecture about salmonella,
e-coli and all the other bugs that can kill dogs. He then
said that he wasn't against raw feeding "per se," but that
I should think about using a "scientifically formulated"
food such as made for zoo animals or one of the pre-made
raw diets. I do use Bravo also, and told him that. That
seemed to put his mind at ease, but I could tell he still
definitely didn't agree with the concept. Then he asked
about calcium/phosphorus ratio, and when I said I feed
bone-in meat, he literally stuck his fingers in his ears
and went "lalalala, I can't HEAR you!" It was a really
funny moment. He was smiling and I could tell he was
kidding around and I was also. I gave him the name of a
couple of books to look at if he wanted to know more and
we left the appointment agreeing to disagree.

It put his mind at ease when I mentioned that I don't ever
like to feed fresh meat right from the store. I *always*
try to put it in the deep freeze for at least 2 weeks
before thawing and feeding. And I also assured him that I
still supervise the dogs when they are eating their raw
meaty bones (just in case) and that I'm always very
cognizant of proper food handling and sanitation
procedures, both for the dogs and for us humans. So that
was a positive thing that everyone could agree on. We left
it by saying "let's see what the blood work says" and him
agreeing to do a bit of research into raw feeding and
keeping an open mind. So I'm very happy with that. He also
said that he couldn't argue with the dog's physical
condition as there wasn't a single thing he could find
wrong to try to criticize or blame on the diet. If
anything, Moon has a bit of chunk in the trunk and needs
to drop about 5 pounds. So yea for good health!! LOL!!  ;)

--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx