[ SHOWGSD-L ] info from AKC re Nightline show

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:13:39 EST

_communications@xxxxxxxx (mailto:communications@xxxxxxx)  to  your email
address book.
 American  Kennel Club
***Please  cross-post to your breed, club and dog show lists***
Dear Molly Snider,

The American Kennel Club  would like to correct some misinformation that is
circulating  within the fancy. We would appreciate your assistance in
spreading the word about the facts on this issue.

The  AKC is aware that NIGHTLINE, which airs on ABC, is pursuing a  story on
canine health, including breeding. The AKC welcomes  all constructive dialogue
about the sport and on ways to  improve the health of dogs. However, all
indications are that  the story will not be a fair and balanced look at the
issues.  With the guidance of our advisors, the AKC declined to  participate
but
instead provided NIGHTLINE with an official  statement:
"The American Kennel Club is the nation's  leading not-for-profit
organization devoted to canine  health, breeding and responsible dog ownership.
The AKC's
 breeding policies and high ethical standards have made us  the most widely
respected registry in the world. Each year,  the AKC performs approximately
5,000 kennel and breeder  inspections to ensure the proper care and conditions
of
dogs  and has led the charge in regards to advancing canine  health,
including founding the AKC Canine Health Foundation  in 1995. Since that time,
$22
million has been given to more  than 500 research projects at 74 vet schools
and
research  institutes worldwide to improve the health of all  dogs."
It has also come to our attention that  some individual AKC constituents have
been approached for  interviews or may be approached at dog shows. In this
event we  recommend politely declining the interview and referring their
requests to the AKC's Communications dept at _communications@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:communications@xxxxxxx)   or 212-696-8343.

You may also direct those interested  in this topic to _www.akcdoghealth.com_
(http://mail5.akc.org/track?type=click&mailingid=707&messageid=823&databaseid=
753&serial=1200945602&emailid=bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx&userid=1598&extra=&&&akcdo
ghealth&&&http://www.akcdoghealth.com)   for pertinent information.

American Kennel Club  Communications
_communications@xxxxxxxx (mailto:communications@xxxxxxx)

***Permission to cross-post to all breed, club  and dog show lists***

This email was sent to you as a valued customer of the  American Kennel Club.
Please read _AKC's  Privacy Statement_
(http://mail5.akc.org/track?type=click&mailingid=707&messageid=823&databaseid=753&serial=1200945602&emailid=bokenkamp
gsd1@xxxxxxx&userid=1598&extra=&&&privacy&&&http://www.akc.org/about/site/priv
acystatement.cfm) .

Molly

Trillia German Shepherds  since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont  (recording secretary), Life member CKC
"The greatest discovery of any  generation is that a human being
can alter his life by altering his  attitude"-William  James
**************Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax professional in your
neighborhood today.