[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ruining the breed in three generations.

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 02:35:48 EST

In a message dated 12/8/2004 2:08:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
RckyIizard@xxxxxxx writes:
It's  just like right now.  There are dogs who produce dead tails, dragging
toes, bad temperaments.  You can see trends in offspring of certain  dogs,
just
by watching a show and checking the catalog.  Yes, some of  the offspring are
just drop-dead gorgeous--if you can get past the  issue.  No way will I breed
a dog who produces major issues, I  don't CARE if he throws superstars. I
will
find another nice dog  instead.

Liz,
I think that what Susan and Tom are trying to say is that while you  may be
avoiding all together the issue of DM, there is more to breeding a good  GSD
than just eliminating DM.  Dogs have a myriad of genetic problems we  want to
avoid: esophagus problems, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, autoimmune  disease,
heart murmurs, pancreatitis, dentition problems, bite problems, off  colors,
missing testicles, von Willebrands disease, retinal dysplasia, thyroid
problems, dwarfism, epilepsy, pannus, hernia, hemophilia, deafness, cleft
palate,
and many others.  And please note that I am not even mentioning  structure
problems such as correct front assembly, proper rear angulation,  correct croup
angulation, good feet, good proportions, erect ears,  etc., and I am also not
including temperament and intelligence factors  which are genetic and very much
part of a correct GSD.

Now, if you were to have a gene marker for each of these problems, it is
unlikely/impossible that you would be able to find that "Ohhh so perfect dog
that was not a carrier of any of the problems mentioned above and was also
structurally correct."  So, I believe that both Susan and Tom are talking
about
having to make wise choices about what you can and you can't avoid and  what
you
are willing to risk and what you are not willing to negotiate... and  much of
that will depend on your bitch and her own genetic background.

While I think DNA gene markers will be a wonderful tool to be used by
responsible and caring breeders - I don't believe they will be "the solution"
all of dogs' problems.  And... more than ever... I think that Fred Migliore
has
the right response when he says "Breeding is an art form not just a
scientific experiment"

Dania