[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: fecal incontinence

  • From: "Karen C." <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 02:11:39 -0500

One bright night in the middle of the day on Sun, 05 Dec 2004 19:29:14
-0800, Holly Woods <hollywoods@xxxxxxx> wrote:=20

>How many or do all old dogs eventually experience incontinence?

I can tell you my experience with the geriatric crowd we have here.
They are: 1 GSD, age 14 years, 1 White Shepherd, age 11 years and,
until very recently, 1 English setter, age 15 years, 4 mos (RIP Hapi).
Of these 3 girls, all were spayed as adults (between 2-5 years of
age). The GSD developed urinary incontinence about 2 years ago. It is
totally controlled with medication (DES given once a week). Because
she is rapidly going down in the rear end and often ends up dragging
herself along till she gets up and going, she is also rapidly losing
anal tone. And yet, she never has a problem unless she tries to "hold
it" for too long. Then the poops will just drop out of her without her
really knowing what's up. But those incidents are few and far between.

The WS doesn't seem to have a blasted thing wrong with her, other than
the fact that she is terminally shy and fearful and has lost nearly
all her lovely black pigment as she has aged.  <sigh>  :(

My ES girl never lost bladder control until the day she died. However,
she was intermittently fecally incontinent for awhile. She would have
"stealth poops" roll out of her in bed in the middle of the night as
well as sometimes during the day. Toward the end, it because first a
weekly and then almost daily event. It can be managed pretty well with
lots of sheets covering the bed, a steady supply of waterless shampoo
to clean up their rear ends and Resolve carpet cleaner. For a totally
fecally incontinent animal, if you can get them on a strict schedule
insofar as feeding and elimination is concerned, you can manually
stimulate them to go potty outside with very little trouble. If you
need it, I have a web site book marked that is dedicated to dealing
with this. Just let me know. Hope this is helpful...
*~*~*~*~
Karen M. Carloni
   * Gia - German Shepherd Dog
   * Simone - White Shepherd

In spirit and waiting at the Bridge:
   * Hapi, Cody, Kippy and Tuppy - English setters, together again
   * Mulligan - Irish setter