[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Regional Membership

  • From: "Jessica MacMillan" <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:49:11 -0500

Terra -

I come from Dals which is in the same boat as GSD. We have declining
enteries, population and no new people. We were the first breed to ever drop
75% in registrations in two years. How is that for scarey? Our only buyers
are previous dal owners. There are NO new owners out there.

The dal clubs are really into the mode of getting new members. Most of what
is done is by public education, but also embracing people like you mentioned
- the ones who are interested in the breed, but might need a little
education on their intentions.

We have gotten in the habit of inviting those people to club functions. Not
necessarily to join, but just to see how the other half lives. Whether it be
a fun match, fun day, meeting, etc., by getting those people to attend, you
are able to hopefully bend their ear a little.

Many won't stay interested or even want to join, but man, if you can get one
out of 5 to become interested, involved members (no matter in what capacity)
it is like gold...

Also remember, the best workers are often just that, WORKERS and not people
who are actively involved in any aspects of the sport. Many dal clubs
function because their pet people are hard workers. More than one dal
specialty has gone off with the help of pet people. We need to get those
people interested in helping - patting them on the head and giving them a
treat periodically.

I don't know how many of you do, but have you considered getting your pet
buyers to join? You never know, one of those people who bought a dog because
of Rin Tin Tin, might be your next hot show person or at least a fabulous
worker in your club.

BTW: By-laws are what AKC worries about when it comes to regional clubs -
they don't worry about the other.

Jess Mac
Paisley Dals (and two GSD who are very excited about camping this weekend)
www.paisleydals.com