[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Regional Membership

  • From: "terra fairburn" <Terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <targa50@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:21:12 -0500

Well we have recently had problems with people calling about joining our
club and they are not doing anything with their dogs like training, showing
or vlountering.  After spending a lot of time with her on the phone she told
me that some one gave them three bitches and they want to breed guard dogs.
She sounded very young and I hate to say, clueless.  She finally said that
she and her husband think if they join the club it would be profitable to
them to sell puppies.  She went on to say that they have tried to breed the
bitches but so far no pups...she said they may be to young.  They are all
under 1 year. Then she wanted to train in protection.  My personal feeling
is that we GSD members owe it to our breed to help educate these folks but
on the other hand we don't want to become the breed wardens.  I was able to
find out that she got these free bitches from a woman in Iowa...I think that
is the pet mill person.  I really impressed on her what our club mission is
and that we do not promote breeding for pets.  I  asked her if she had a
copy of the breed standard.  I informed her that the market is so bad now.
But we have another person in the area that breeds for pets and brags
because big name show people allow her to breed her bitches to their studs
to get them proven.  Our board of directors are looking at how to include
people in the club as members but to ensure that they are credible and
willing to embrace the club mission and objectives.  We hosted the Midwest
Fututity this year and had some members not work at all or support the
endeavors.  To me that is just unacceptable if you want to be a member in an
AKC Specialty GSD club.  I really think the clubs need to attrack new
members but also support the GSD standard, Breeders Code of Ethics, and
support continuing education programs that allow the new and us old people
to continue to learn about our great breed.  To not combine these functions
in clubs is to ignore potential danger to the Breed!
Terra Fairburn & Nanc Kinley
Keggi Fair Kennels
Terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.keggifair.com

"The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding"
                                                 Leonardo da Vinci