[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question

  • From: "Rockenstein, Zoa L. " <zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:00:03 -0500

I agree with Dania and would also like to know the answers to Diane's excellent
questions.  While I am comfortable with the rationale our standard gives for
the structure of Am bred dogs, I would welcome a rational, rancor-free
discussion of these issues.  I owned a gorgeous Am bred bitch from the
legendary Bernd-Arbywood cross in the 1970's.  She won in both rings.  Scratch
the surface of her pedigree, and most of the dogs in her background were
German.  What happened?

I think the PC is to be commended for the progress we have already made in
bringing the groups together.  Because of these efforts, I went to Belgium in
2000 to support the American team and check out the working dog scene.  The
dogs were very impressive, in performance, I must say.  I didn't want one in my
yard, but that's just me.  A dog like that would not fit into my lifestyle.
But there are Am bred dogs I don't care for as well.  I don't care for the
conformation that seems to accompany many Am bred bi-colors, for instance:
just a matter of personal taste.  I have had Am bred dogs that were too
aggressive, either toward people, dogs, or both, to show.  I don't care for
that behavior regardless of where the dogs come from.  Perhaps, if we are to
have this discussion again on the list, we could start with discovering common
ground.  What can we agree on?  Here are some specific ways that my
brand-spanking new breeding program has been influenced by the WDA folks:

1.  Physical and mental soundness are non-negotiable with me.  A whole dog is a
sound dog, period.  Any breeding I make must exhibit OFA H&E in at least
two-thirds of the dogs in five generations.  I would like to add TC to that, if
more people would temperament test and more shows would offer it.

2.  In order for me to be truly impressed with someone else's dog, or maximally
proud of my own dog, the dog has to be dually titled.  I am not that interested
in beauty and side gait alone, as defined by any group's standard, anymore.  It
is not enough to bring out the true spirit of our wonderful dogs, in my opinion.

I did not come to these decisions over night and debated them in my mind for
many years.

I guess my bottom line is this:  Let's stop automatically praising or flaming
dogs because of their nationality.  Let's talk about reasons for specific
structures and behaviors.  And let's respect the fact that different people
want German shepherds for different reasons.  Perhaps the very versatility of
the breed sets us up for this debate.

Zoa Rockenstein