[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: GretchAnya@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 08:46:35 EST

In a message dated 2/24/2007 8:26:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
GretchAnya@xxxxxxx writes:
There is  a thread on a Lab Forum (my husband's breed) about insuring show
dogs for their actual value; something they say is also common with  horses.
Anyone in GSDs heard of this - or do  it?

I used to insure the race and show horses.  (We even had a rider that  cover
a horse we'd potentially claim right when the starting gate opened.)   It gets
sticky.  Usually it's a mortality policy (paid off when the horse  dies) and
sometimes when a "bad" happens you have a whole room full of insurance
company vets determining when enough is enough and the animal's care and
medical
decisions are out of your hands.  We had that happen on two  occasions.
Sometimes you can get the insurance company to foot part of the  bill for
veterinary
care.  My sister had that happen with a six figure  ulcer surgery for a show
horse (If you can believe it...amazing what they can  do!)  The horse is fine,
they removed the area affected by ulcers and  reattached everything.
Obviously the insurance company did not renew the  policy on that particular
horse,
but they made the deal because the surgery was  less costly than paying a
mortality claim and my sister obviously wanted the  horse to recover and not a
check.

Then, for breeding stock you have "loss of use" coverage.  Say a stud  goes
sterile and you've sold shares (breeding rights)...

I've never heard of people insuring show dogs, although I went to the web
site for our old horse carrier and they DO insure working dogs (seeing eye,
SAR,
 police).  I don't know how you'd establish a (monetary) value on a  show
dog...It's really a complex procedure with horses....I guess with a popular
stud
dog you "could", and in that case, Lloyds could probably be persuaded to
write a policy, but knowing what we paid on the show/race horses, my guess it
would be crazy expensive.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_
http://www.aol.com.