[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Prong Discussion

  • From: "Lee Smith" <ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:56:19 -0400

I was dead set against using a pinch collar. It was cruel and heartless and
my need for a pinch collar was an indication of my lack of training
abilities. My GSD, Rex, was an oversized, strong willed, tough dog with a
sharp mind and a humourous spirit. I had already put a CD on him and I was
an assistant obedience instructor for a well known instructor, Mary Lou
Hughes. We taught the Volhard method, which is a structured program that is
very motivational. As a behaviorist, Wendy Volhard is one of the pioneers in
using an understanding of basic drives to utilize a dog's own motivations to
train. She has been extremely successful as an OB competitor at the highest
levels and has written many books.

I ended up going to her school for obedience instructors -- a very intensive
one-week course that starts at breakfast and ends about 9:00 at night. Since
there are three obedience classes a day as well as additional training
sessions, it is recommended that you take two dogs so you don't exhaust
them. I took Rex and my sheltie, Misty.

On the third day, Wendy introduced me to the pinch collar -- for Rex. When
other students asked how she could ever recommend a pinch collar she'd point
to me and say in a cultured English accent, "I have a student whose dog is
as big as she is (that is when I was much thinner). He's a dominant male who
can push her every button, is tough as nails and has a very high pain
tolerance. She needs a little extra help."

She showed me how to use it. By the way, he could and would do a 198 point
routine when he wanted. The next day he would jump out of the ring to lick a
child's ice cream cone and then jump back in the ring to beautifully finish
the off lead exercise. While at the school, I was taking a class on recalls
and he came to me than kept running. There was a lake in the distance where
the water sports were being taugh. Wendy, in her soft spoken way said, "On
my! He's going to take a swim." He returned about 15 minutes latter happy as
a little clam.

Well, next class, she had him wearing a pinch. He did a well timed lunge and
yelped. He looked at me and paid attention. He wasn't hurt just surprised.

Now, she did say it should never be used in a beginner class. The handler
needs to learn how to control the dog and gain control of the leash before a
pinch is ever introduced, and there are specific ways to train using a
pinch, since it is not allowed in OB or even on show grounds.

It has its place and I have never had to use one since. Loved that dog.

Lee Smith