[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Not a country, but a style

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: SoilentGrn@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 06:58:02 -0400 (EDT)

Except this is a conformation list.  I know enough about judging dogs'
temperaments that I can go to the pound on any given day and find me a good
working dog.

I guess I just don't see the temperament problem some do, and gosh I have
dogs I HAVE BRED out there doing things most every weekend (different
venues),  unlike some who have opinions but, hmmmmmm no dogs out there so that
others can  evaluate their theories.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 9/3/2013 8:54:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
SoilentGrn@xxxxxxx writes:

A  working military dog will not necessarily make a good seeing eye dog.
There are many different temperament assets required for each job.

Whether your dog has a job or lies on the couch there are two things  that
can open your breeding program to any direction you wish,  bidibility and
strong  nerves. Without them you will have a dog not  to be counted on.
Without
testing  these you might never know.   And the harder you test gives you a
clearer picture of how much  pressure they can cope with. For instance, a
Herding  Tested dog  requires much less in mental stress than an Advanced
Herding
dog. This  will hold true for any venue where using their brain is
required.

Now might be the right time to bring up the  book WORKING DOGS by Humphrey
and Warner.

An old book that  has been reprinted in paperback and much cheaper than
looking for  the original.
It spells out the many facets of temperament and how to breed  for
consistency in them.
This is the earliest book that I know of  that has the four rules,  and
pointedly they should go in this  order
1 good working temperament
2 longevity
3  fertility
4 conformation

Lissa

POST  is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.