[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Not a country, but a style

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: myjoygs@xxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 08:50:25 -0400 (EDT)

I think it's two separate subjects.  It's important not to get "over
dogged" on either side of the pond.  There's no way, without a LOT of  kennel
help or a huge family, a dozen dogs will be worked to their  potential.  Like
it or not, for the benefit of the dogs, less really is  more.

As far as littermates, when keeping more than one beyond 8-10 weeks, they
DO need to be separated and they DO need daily, consistent, critical
one-on-one  time, or else they form a pack and their people may or may not be
included or  even needed for mental stimulation. That's why I'll never sell 2
puppies from  the same litter and prefer, at a minimum, a year's age difference
between dogs  for a companion family.  That's also why I place a lot of
very  finish-able dogs at 8 weeks.  IMO they are far better off laying on some
child's bed that sitting in a run "growing out".

I really don't see the spookiness at shows that others seem to see, but
if/when I do see some, it's usually a youngster coming from a situation where
I  know there are a lot of dogs. These dogs just don't do well kept
constantly  in runs. (And the longer I am around dogs, the more weight I put on
environment  and not so much genetics). That's why I have house dogs and not
dogs warehoused  in runs constantly. Sure, I pass on exciting youngsters, and
it's  hard. Early socialization is critical and as soon as puppies can
toddle, I  am taking them away from their box, individually, and they have new
experiences  daily, one-on-one, not as a pack.

As far as "correct" temperament, well I don't know that everyone will ever
agree.  I think there are shades of correct.  What I might want for a  dog
to compete with might be too much dog for a young family and probably not
enough dog for someone else.

We have in the North East/Mid-Atlantic area several kennels selling imports
 or first generation czech or "working line" German dogs.  Now, I have no
idea if they really are, let's take them at their word.  What I do know is
I get a lot of calls from people who have spent a lot of money, not only on
the  original purchase price but later for a series of trainers and they
can't handle  their dog (and somebody is going to get hurt).  I'm sure the
puppy  starts out cute but then during adolescence the trouble starts.  Some
dogs  are just too hard and sharp for a family, yet these breeders seem to want
 to capitalize of the "badder is better" theme.

John Q. public with a family doesn't NEED a border patrol dog. A dog
without an "off switch" is a real pain in the ass to live with and not correct
by anyone's definition/standard.

So...I want a dog who is really into their people with an "off  switch".  I
don't want to have to throw a ball every night for hours before  I can sit
down to dinner or a dog who wants to torment the UPS man just for  fun.
There's a happy medium between Golden Retriever temperament and  an horse's
a*s.  I want mine to be a Golden Retriever with children though  and they are:)
 By the same token, don't come in uninvited  <G>.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 9/3/2013 7:52:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
myjoygs@xxxxxxx writes:

This is  an interesting topic what does everyone think about this.  Is it
true  that if littermates are with their siblings for to long that they react
better  with other dogs then humans.  And I am talking about kenneling them
 together for 4 months, 6 months.  Is it better to seperate them.  I  had
in one of  my litters, a majority of them who were dominant and there  was a
lot of posturing between them, which I nipped from the start.  I  ended up
seperating them because one was getting picked on and becoming not  sure of
itself.  Plus I noted that they rather interact with each other  and not so
much with people.  They were fine with people but rather be  with their
siblings.
Thoughts/discussion????