[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: No spin, from the PA federation of dog clubs

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: dir@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 21:13:03 EST

In a message dated 3/4/2006 8:17:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dir@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
I AM SO  CONFUSED BY ALL OF THIS!  This person should be hung (I guess) --as
the Amboy person who got off scott free more or less.  AKC regs or  PAWS who
is right here?  I just want there to be no more abuse of  animals.  Sandi

I agree with you Sandi, he should be hung.  We (in PA) have seen  some pretty
graphic pics on the news, yet from Gloria's post, and she had been  to his
location but not in the main house, one would have never known....he had  lost
his (State) kennel license, then had it reinstated.  From what I can  gather,
putting together the TV news reports, the print reports and the PA  Federation
of Dog Clubs info/e-mails, it was eventually the State (and Municipal
authorities) that had the authority to pull the plug, seize the dogs and  press
charges, but IMO, where they fell down, again, this is just MY opinion, is
(although I realize they are operating w/ limited funds and personnel), where I

think it would make sense, once there have been issues at a certain location)to

REINSPECT frequently, it appears to that they go back to their normal  fiscal
inspections. So, limited funds a problem?  You bet!  We  had the dog warden
speak this past month at our club meeting and quite honestly,  they are
stretched
to the limit.

There's plenty of blame to go around.  I could make the same point for  the
AKC.  Once they had fined/suspended/the reinstated him, even  though he
registered a number of litters the following year that put him below  their
inspection threshold, shouldn't they too have re-inspected?

So, what do we do?  Raise taxes?  Hire more state/municipal  inspectors?
Raise entry/registration fees?  Insist that once someone has  been reinstated
by
the State and/or the AKC, they are inspected frequently? It's  OK by me but I
can just imagine the uproar;)

I think what this incident has done for a lot of folks is shine the light
that many, many "breeders" (basement, backyard, whatever) use other registries
and fly beneath the AKC's radar.  Our local paper is filled puppies
registered w/ bogus registries w/ acronyms designed to sound like "AKC".   So,
there
again, the dilemma...how do you track that without stepping on the  toes of
people who are trying to do a responsible job?  And how much are  "we" willing
bend to comply with increasing regulations proposed so that  "they" don't
abuse animals? To those who say the laws are on the books, all you  need to do
is
enforce them...OK, right on!  But since departments are under  funded, are you
OK w/ paying the increased taxes to fund them, or is that just a  catchy
rhetoric? Are you OK w/ increased license fees? I sure don't have the  answer
but
I can imagine whatever is proposed is going to create quite the  uproar.

Kathy