[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: National photos

  • From: caggra@xxxxxxx
  • To: fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx, pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:07:56 -0500

I will second that.? The photographers were very friendly and accomadating.?
All of the pictures we took were beautiful.
The only thing I would say is that taking photos should not hold up judging for
the next class.? If 6-9 males are taking photos, then 6-9 bitches can be in the
ring.? If any of the 6-9 male handler's are needed in the ring, they could be
to the end until the handler gets there.?

That is the only complaint I have about this year's National.? Way too much
downtime.? Someone needs to make sure things start on-time everyday and someone
needs to?keep things moving.??I am not blaming anyone, only stating that we
need to learn from this and correct it.? For the entry not being as large as
previous years, there is no reason that we should have been there until the
evening several days.???

Jeff Pyle

From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, November 13, 2008, 6:16 AM

I think marking the images with "show results" or in this case
"2008 National" is very appropriate. The club is not buying these and
way too many people just grab images off the PC website instead of purchasing
them from the photographer. It costs a lot of money to be the photog at an event
- travel, time, equipment, etc. and if people want photos, they need to support
the photog. In this time of instant everything, nobody wants to wait while
photos are sorted, color balanced, cropped as needed - not to mention the time
required for uploading and all the rest. For an event like this you are talking
about several thousand photos and a photographer who was busy all day taking
them. Assuming she also wanted to eat and sleep during the show, it means not
being able to go through them all at the show. Remember how long it took last
year? Don't judge someone untill you have walked in their moccasins.

This is one of the hardest events to photograph as there is always a rush. If
you do not take the winner's photo right after the class, people do not come
back to get it. If you do, evryone involved is in a hurry to get it done as
there is another class to run. I am sure everyone knows how well dogs relate to
stress and when you take the up and down of emotion from competition to pictures
to stress of getting ready for next class, it is a challenge to make
 everyone
look good. Good photography is teamwork - dog, handler, doubler, others in
photo, and photog. Everyone needs to be right on for that perfect photo. Not
only do we want perfect win photos, but we also want photos of all the
activities - so you need to have someone at the performance events as well as at
the conformation ring for gaiting shots. And, oh yes, we also need candids. AND
WE WANT THEM NOW! And we complain if everything is not perfectly the way we want
it to be - and if not, we always
 blame the photographer.

So give her a chance to get the job done.

Ruth

?