[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Mutts

  • From: "Paula Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:31:19 GMT

Judi Bendt wrote:
....................................................................How does
that make them  want
to go out and buy a pure bred dog the next time?

Judi Bendt
-----------------------------

Why should they?  Is there some unwritten rule that people may only own one
mutt (presumably by accident or ignorance?) and then progress up some elitist
ladder to pure-breds???   That seems very snobbish and opinionated to me, a dog
lover.

At any given time in my life I have owned mutts and BYB pure breds and
show-quality pure breds.  I love/loved them ALL.  I feed them equally.  I spend
atrocious amounts of money at the vets.  Little Man Tate (Chihuahua/Poodle Mix)
cost me as much, or more....thousands of dollars....fighting and treating his
cancers as Ch. Diana cost me fighting her immune-mediated aplastic anemia.  I
love my dogs.  I may never own another show dog after Harley, I may never own
another pure-bred GSD again.  Or I might.  I don't know.  I am getting old and
can't imaging life without a dog, so I will have to consider arrangements for
any dog I own outright in the future.  My son doesn't like dog hair all over
the place.  I may finish out my life with a Poodle that I know will have a good
home after I split.

AKC granting obedience/agility/rally/tracking titles to any and all dogs will
have no bearing on my love of my pets.  Anyone who works with their dogs and
wants to show them off and compete with them at trial should have our respect,
and in most cases, our admiration.

And, it is no one's business WHAT I do with my dogs, as long as I break no laws
and cause no harm!

Maybe I will get a White Shepadoodle next...and train and compete with him/her
at Rally Trials...that could be fun.    Please tell me what is wrong with
that????

AKC understands.

Paula, 266 days and counting