[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Mutts

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: all4moriah@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:51:39 -0500

How many of us started out with a mutt or a rescue?  Probably a majority.
Opening up performance venues to mutts is not a bad thing.  It exposes folks to
the show world.  It allows people to engage with their dogs and get out there.
I fully disagree with making this a stand alone event.  How will the people get
the exposure to purebred dogs if thay are segregated?

Dogs that can participate must be S/N and must provide proof of such to get a
number.  How is that a threat to purebred dogs?

Someone asked about the purebred rescue that MUST be S/N to compete.  Ok, how
many PB Rescues could or should be in a breeding program or showing in
conformation?  So, what's the big deal there?

I am currently running two classes with the AKC.  The STAR puppy class and a
CGC class.  I accept ANY breed, mixed or purebred.  I have students with
purebreds, mixed and rescues.  One student got a pup from a puppy mill.  I
started with this pup at 8wks and he is doing great.  Another student's Mom
works for Guide Dogs for the Blind.  They took in a 4wk old Bull Mastiff pup.
The Mom was hit by a car and died and 4 pups were found by a Good Samaritan.
This pup is now 3mos old and a total sweetie.  Then there is the Dobie.  She
was seized in a dog fighting raid.  She was a bait dog.  She has scars and scar
tissue all over her body.  Yet, she is the sweetest dog. Her new owner does
show in conformation with a Whippet.  I had her bring this dog to the first
puppy class to observe.  Well, this girl was awesome.  She is too old to be in
the class but she was so good with the babies, even the Bull Mastiff pup.  Why
shouldn't she be allowed to be rewarded for the work she has put into this dog
to get a title?

Isn't this what it is about?  Education.  These people chose to train their
dogs and be responsible owners.  They will all pass that on to their friends.
I have the opportunity to educate them on responsible breeders, options for
purebred dogs, and most importantly, exposing them to another side they may not
have considered before.

I do not see opening things up to mutts is a bad thing.

Laura