[ SHOWGSD-L ] Long Coats

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Terra Fairburn <terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 20:36:22 +0000 (UTC)

Yep I am part of that ever growing  group of non members. Interestingly, I have
not gotten a returned check refusing my entry to any national because of our
non member status. Last year my co-owner who is also not a PC member, but had
been for years  ran a double page color ad and paid the cost of a "non-member"
, no one returned her 800.00, either. So as long as GSDCA still take our checks
to support their entry at the national or their Review  I and others who are
still helping to fund the GSDCA may voice our opinions. With that said, it is
one thing to have never been a GSDCA member, it is another thing to have been a
long time member who has left for the aforementioned reasons. One can either
address the elephant in the room, or continue to deflect blame on to members
who have left the GSDCA in an attempt to avoid confronting the real issues.

 As for coats, or any other dog I have deemed as a companion in my breeding
program, their positive impact as an ambassador for the breed has been much
greater than any dog that we have exhibited. So before one makes an ass of
themselves and slings accusations that prescribe to destroying companions, you
need to understand that most of the dogs we have bred have been placed as
companions with families. Our philosophy has always been that  family
companions are the dogs that impact the public. They are seen by a greater
number of people than attend dog shows. However if you want to talk death camps
for dogs, you need to look no further than the self ordained" pillars of the
breed" who destroy eveything that is not showable..but we don't want to go
there now do we, that's pretty ugly and uncomfortable to discuss.
 Personally, we have never bred a perfect dog that's what kept it challenging
for us, but let me tell you..there were plenty of YOU people in this sport that
couldn't wait to remind us of our dogs imperfections and in a very harsh
manner. There was no "kumbaya" or concern for sparing our feelings.This
nastiness came at a time when Steve and I were very new to the sport. Although
it was hurtful, we came to accept that this was the nature of the competition,
especially if you had a top winner. We began to see criticism as a way to
improve our breeding program. Afterall, the critics force you to raise your
standard bar, which in turn makes you a better breeder. Actually, perhaps this
would be a good time to thank all of you who brutalized us when we were showing
Bull or any of our other dogs, had it not been for you, we may never have
strived to make improvements!
  I predict that if a spectacular long coat male( and yes I mean male, not a
bitch as bitches are usually not brutalized as much) is shown and does some
great winning, eveyone will want to repeal the long coat class.  As for me,
whether a coat is shown or not shown is a moot point. I'll be the first in line
to breed a bitch to a great coated dog.  A dog of great movement, structure and
temperament is always a consideration for breeding and might just be the
inspiration I need to consider breeding another litter. C

> Geez the way some people on this list are talking
> about long coated dogs and other dogs with faults makes you wonder if they
> would
> like to see these animals shot at birth or later when the fault is detected.
> Every time you all say some of the "mean spirited stuff and language" really
> drives more and more people away from the GSDCA. Are we just a bunch of snobs
> and elitist that think there really is a "PERFECT" German Shepherd? I am so
> thankful that people want to raise, love, and provide for my imperfect dogs
> that
> yes I breed. Without those kind souls that find this "imperfect animal" a
> loving companion, I would either have to destroy them or stock pile them in
> kennels so I can continue to breed for that "PERFECT GSD" to show in the
> breed
> ring or at the National.
> Please think what you are saying about someone's
> beloved dog/bitch. Please just let it go and be happy that someone else gets
> play in the sand box with all the rest of the "PERFECT DOGS" at the National.
> Take your anger out at the Dunk Tank. But remember
> how you maybe hurting some ones feelings before you keep going on about long
> coats. Everyone knows they are a fault. Just like all the dogs with bad tails
> that are sometimes rubber banded prior to showing, or the teeth that have
> rubber
> bands on them prior to the show, or all the products used to enhance the
> coats
> etc., and oh yes the drugging for poor temperaments, and the terrible gait
> issues....everyone knows that horrendous stuff is going on and where are you
> on
> that illegal stuff. The long coat is a visible fault so there. If they want a
> class to show them off...go for it and appreciate that someone loves them
> like
> you love your "perfect GSD!
> Terra Fairburn
> Keggi Fair