[ SHOWGSD-L ] Long Coats

  • From: "Mary-Anne" <mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ShowGSD-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:04:53 -0400

I have a LC and a short coat and do herding with both.  My LC male (whose
temperament is very soft) will be wet to the skin and happy about it and
dries very quickly.  However, when he shakes the mud stays on.   My short
coated female gets wet to the skin, dirty as all heck, dries, shakes and
looks normal.  Her temperament is more to the 'German' part of the Shepherd.
Which do I prefer?  Depends on what type of sheep I have to coral.  The
female works smarter so works better on hard sheep, the male has energy to
spare and can literally run them in circles til they give up.  Which is the
better ambassador for the breed?  Definitely the LC, people run over to hug
him and can't keep their hands out of his coat.  Then when I say that he's a
purebred shepherd, I get told how terrified they are of 'real' shepherds and
he MUST be a mix as he's SO friendly.  Yet I watched the pair of them drive
off a bear in our backyard two nights ago.  A GSD is a GSD is a GSD.  There
is no breed that compares either long coated or short coated.  When I get a
LC that I can show, I WILL show him/her, just because I'm proud as all h***
that I have one that meets 'most' of the standard.
Mary-Anne
C C Mistral of Waldenridge CGN CD TD AGN TEC RN (Caro) HIC
Tersha's Magnum Force  CGN TEC HIC