[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Long Coats

  • From: RopajaGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 23:24:52 -0400 (EDT)

I must jump in here  also Kathy....I have been a member of the parent club
since 1976 and of my  regional club for the same length of time and not just
a member but an active  one in being on the regional board and supporting
both the regional club and the  parent club with trophy donations and
assisting in multiple ways with our local  shows from ring stewarding to
ticketing,
to set up to take down and everything  in between; and a huge supporter of
the GSD rescue efforts of many of our  co-members...now that I have
established my credentials  ...
I am not in  favor of having a separate class for long coats...not because
I have a problem  with them...my bitch line for the last seven generation
carries the long coat  gene; I have had some wonderful long coat puppies
occasionally throughout the  years...I have been an active exhibitor as
well...have not been showing in the  last two years because everything I have
is a
finished champion...but I do have  a young one now coming up and I will be out
there again  soooon....
That said, the reason  I am not in favor of having a separate class for the
long coat is because it  does not address the real problem...only the
symptom....the problem is NOT that  the long coat needs a separate class to be
appreciated for its other fine  qualities...the problem is the judges who
either do not know OR are too insecure  in their own judging to put up a long
coat if all else is good over a dog who is  out there either lifting in front
and/or dragging their toes and/or is like a  frigging mix master coming and
going...simply because a judge is not displaying  knowledge or confidence in
their own judging is not a reason to have a separate  class so that despite
having the long coat fault the dog can be appreciated for  all its other
good qualities (if indeed it does have all those other good  qualities)....so
the problem of the judging needs to be addressed...creating a  class to show
case a fault is not the answer in my humble  opinion.
I have heard the  comments that it will bring in money and new people....I
cannot believe that is  a serious comment....surely you jest, just how much
money do those people think  is out there just waiting to be spent on
showing a long coated dog...that is not  a very well thought out reason in
MHO...there are other ways of bringing people  into the breed ring without
creating
a class to showcase a fault...I mean think  about it...the parent club of a
breed wanting to emphasize a fault in our breed  by showcasing it....as
someone else said; why not showcase the dogs with the  serious faults in
gait...we would all, not just the judges, learn something from  that...as there
are a lot of people, novice and not, take a look at SOME of the  gaiting shots
in our Review...who do not recognize these types of faults...and  it also
appears that a number of our judges do not recognize these serious  faults
either based on what some of them put up...so it would be educating the
judges as well...now there is a class I would like to see; as an educational
effort not a money maker because, alas, there would probably be very few
entries  in it...like none!
I am in favor of the  dunk tank as a means of making money...that would be
a guaranteed money maker  ....GRIN...please all you judges do not jump on
me, I am having fun on that  one....

Pauline Moon  - _www.ropajagsd.com_ (http://www.ropajagsd.com/)
Ropaja German  Shepherds:Member-GSDCAmercia & GSDCAtlanta - Best In Show
AKC JAM/AOE/ BISS  CH Ropaja's Chateau Beaujolais OFA HIC; BISS AKC CH
Ropaja's Chateau Beaulieu  OFA HIC; Multi BOB & GRP W AKC CH. Ropaja's Je Suis
Fleur De Lis;  Multi-BOB & GRP W AKC CH Ropaja's Je Suis Gabrielle.