[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hunte

  • From: "EDEN HALL" <GSDHALLMARK@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:08:32 -0800

Thank you Sharee.
Jim
Hallmark German Shepherds
Top American And German Lines
http:/www.gsdhallmark.homestead.com/index.html
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sheree Moses<mailto:shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 6:32 AM
  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Hunte

                                                   I have debated for awhile
  now if, and what, to post.  So much of what is posted on the list is taken
  out-of-context or spun into something else, even when the sender's intent
  was clear.  Focus on my own involvement in this issue came about largely
  because I was concerned that rational members on the list were asking for
  answers...and I answered some of these people privately.  But to put an end
  to the speculation, supposition and sometimes conspiracy theories, I
  decided, for good or ill, to explain how Hunte got his dog.  I've been
  cautioned to be "succint," but I'm going to tell it exactly how it happened.
  Sorry if this is long.
  A couple of years ago, Jim called me and told me he had a pet home for a
  long-coated puppy bitch I had.  I said "Great!"  When I was making the
  shipping arrangements, something about the name was bugging me, I asked Jim
  if he was the guy with the brochure I'd seen about "kennel systems" and the
  supplies catalog (I was in the process of building a new kennel, and the
  information had been sent by a friend).  I asked if he bred dogs. Jim said
  yes.  I told him I wouldn't sell to a puppymill.  Jim said the man had been
  referred by a couple of directors of the AKC, and that they were very
  favorable about him, and besides, she was going to be his grandkids'
  housepet.  So I said okay and sent her on a limited registration.  I
  confess, I didn't think about it alot.  I don't like puppy mills, obviously
  the horrible conditions we see in the media are disgusting, but that was not
  how this man was presented to Jim or to me.  I guess my thought was if AKC
  was essentially sponsoring him, he must be okay, and the dog was going as a
  personal pet, not as a breeding animal.
  A year or so later, Hunte contacted Jim again and said he wanted a dog for
  himself.  I had just given Jim a nice male puppy my best friend and I had
  bred and asked him to place him in a show home.  A month or two later, he
  called and told me to send the papers to Hunte.  We had basically a replay
  of the above conversation; I told Jim it didn't matter how charming,
  articulate, or whatever the guy was, the dog world wouldn't like him being
  involved.  In retrospect, I wish I had been more adamant or investigated
  further, but I didn't.  Trust me, I will regret that lapse for a long
  time... Jim reminded me that he came with excellent references from AKC and
  that the dog was to be a personal housepet.  So I said okay, with the
  understanding that the dog went on a non-breeding contract.  Hunte paid the
  same price anyone else would have paid for a 7-8 month old, prelimmed show
  puppy, no more, no less.  He finished in just a few shows with majors at
  Louisville, so there was no big campaign, and Jim certainly didn't make alot
  of money.  Hunte didn't want the puppy shipped and sent a car and driver to
  pick Arno up from Louisville.  The dog has led a very nice life ever since,
  occasionally Hunte shows him himself, or hires a local girl.  I wish all of
  the dogs I own myself got the care and attention that Arno does.  I do not
  like Hunte's occupation, but it does not take away from the quality of home
  he has provided this dog.

  I am not a very politically aware person.  Usually I am too busy with my
  dogs, I'm not sure where some of the more vocal members of the list find the
  time.  A few weeks ago, a concerned friend suggested I should look at the
  posts on the list. That was when I became aware Hunte had applied for
  membership to the parent club.  This was a surprise for me.  I was not aware
  that we had done away with the 2 sponsors requirement.  Also, I have
  belonged to several allbreed clubs over the years, and all of their
  membership requirements had verbiage such that a person who
  wholesaled/trafficked in dogs to petshops,etc. was ineligible for
  membership. I did not realize we did not have a similar clause in our own
  requirements. I am glad that our club has an open membership that embraces
  every aspect of this wonderful breed, not just conformation, and that
  newcomers are welcome. But..... I don't know Hunte personally, I have only
  spoken to him once (two weeks ago, when I called to question him about some
  of the more disturbing allegations on the list) and while he seems to be an
  articulate, educated person who presents himself as cleaning up an ugly
  industry, and while he has provided an excellent home for the dog that I
  bred, it seems to me that there is a basic dichotomy of thought between the
  goals of our parent club, or any breed club, and Hunte's business, even if
  viewed in the most favorable way possible. I hope that if Hunte does have
  any regard for our breed and the GSDCA, he elects to resign his membership
  voluntarily and put an end to the controversy and conflict caused by his
  admission.

  I have to say, though, while I understand that the issues of puppymills and
  dog welfare are very volatile and heartfelt (I did rescue the first ten
  years I was involved in dogs...I love animals and don't have much use for
  people who don't), I don't understand the current atmosphere on the list.
  It seems pretty straightforward to me.
  The man applied.  People complained.  Rather than admitting him, his
  membership was held until the next board meeting.  The man was offered the
  opportunity to answer charges as provided for in our bylaws. That portion of
  the meeting was held in closed session as matters of that nature always are.
    The man made a statement, and apparently met the basic criteria for
  membership as written in our bylaws, i.e., 18, member in good standing,
  breathing.
  Board voted 9-8 to admit him. Closed session ended, and realizing there was
  a major loophole in our bylaws, the board immediately moved to rectify this
  error. What is so hard to understand about this?  Why are so many members of
  the list attacking the board members who felt, for whatever reason,
  compelled to vote Yes?  Do you think that they were unaware that this would
  be a very unpopular decision?  Or that the membership would NOT be happy?
  Or that they would in all likelihood suffer personally for voting as they
  did?  Do you think it was easy, or done lightly? None of this makes sense to
  me.  Lew has been attacked...he didn't even vote.  Paul Root is an excellent
  example.  I don't always agree with everything Paul says, but no one should
  question his dedication to our breed.  He has given of himself, his time,
  his money...he doesn't just talk, he walks the walk.  And when he heard the
  information and voted his conscience, he was crucified.  And then again when
  he respected the closed session and upheld our club's rules. These people
  are just doing their best to follow our bylaws, and when they didn't like
  what they felt they had to do within those rules, they moved to change them.
  Carmen is another good example.  I know very few people who have given
  themselves to our breed as Carmen has done.  I wonder how many of the people
  on the list who were at specialties last weekend thought to thank him in
  their minds (God forbid out loud) for the opportunity to attend back to back
  specialties...then the list started going on about microchipping and
  Carmen's involvement with the program, and within a few posts were turning
  it into a conspiracy with Carmen and Big Brother out to make big bucks and
  take over the world...well, thank God for the program; a co-owner
  (ironically my best friend and co-breeder of Hunte's puppy, the other
  enabler) placed a 5yr old OFA excellent bitch in a pet home in Oct. 05
  (sold for $500, she rarely gives dogs away, thinks people value what they
  pay for) w/a thirtysomething couple and a couple of kids.  She was spayed,
  housebroken and a great pet. Sales contract provided for the animal to be
  returned, etc, and a copy of the OFA cert.  She got a phone call 3 weeks ago
  from Orange County Animal control, dog had been surrendered by owners as
  badly dysplastic and was scheduled for euthanasia, but they'd scanned her
  and Janie's name showed up as owner.  Needless to say, she rescued the
  dog....if not for the microchip, Noel would be dead.
  So much of what Carmen does for our breed goes unknown or unrecognized.  The
  working dog sport has been a personal project of his.  He has always been
  available to any GSD person with a problem. And always going to bat for the
  crazy GSD people has not always made him popular in New York.  But it's not
  always a popularity contest, or doing what you want.  Sometimes you have to
  do what is right, or follow the rules you agreed to abide by, even if it
  isn't " popular."   I am sure that very few, if any, of the nine who voted
  yes thought they would emerge unscathed.  Although I imagine most were
  surprised by the deliberate refusal of many listers to accept that they were
  following our existing bylaws to the best of their ability. Whenever it
  seems that people are trying to wait, and let the BOD do what they need to
  do, someone apparently needs to fan the flames...sometimes it seems to be
  more about personal agendas than solving the problem.

  Last but not least.  Many people on the list have taken this opportunity to
  go after Jim.  I confess I am a little surprised, because love him or hate
  him the man has given 50 years of his life to our breed.  So he made a
  mistake and took someone at face value, as presented by people (an
  institution?) he respected, as an acceptable home for a pet dog.  I don't
  think that transgression warrants the personal attacks I have read on this
  list over the last couple of weeks.  Thoughtless, distracted, ADD, sure, but
  maliciously out to sell the breed he loves down the river for $$$$$$$?
  I don't think so.  Yes, this breed has been good to him, and he has been
  successful.  But he has worked his butt off for whatever success he has had.
    No one handed him anything, and if now he has the opportunity to show some
  of our breeders' finest, he worked hard for that privilege.  For Jim it has
  always been about the dogs...he lives, eats, breathes and sleeps them, 24/7.
    And no one could love his dog more than Jim does...it's part of the reason
  he has been so successful...he loves those dogs, better than most people,
  and the dogs know it, and respond to that love.
  I resent some of the comments about money.  The ones who make them obviously
  don't really know him.  Don't let him know some puppy, born with a
  congenital defect, could live a normal life with VERY expensive
  surgery....or that an old, retired breeding animal needs expensive
  medication..or that a kid wants a dog to show....or any number of other
  similar instances...Jim said once, at an awards dinner at Westminster, how
  fortunate he was to get paid good money to do what he would do for
  free...well, I doubt many people are aware of the situation we dealt with
  several years ago...we were campaigning a young dog that Jim had alot of
  faith in, but had initially been a bit of a hard-sell to the average
  all-breed judge...the backers (who didn't want Jim to have any other
  specials while he worked for them) hadn't paid us since April, then in
  August signed off the dog...they were having business issues and didn't want
  to admit it...leaving us with all the bills for the last four
  months...entries, photographers, travel, everything...not to mention no
  handling fees.  No income, lots of bills.  Jim asked me if I minded if he
  kept showing the dog...he loved the dog and felt that alot of judges had
  gone on the line to help promote his career and it wouldn't be right to let
  them down, and it wouldn't be fair to the dog...  So we emptied the savings
  acct., used investments, etc to pay off the bills and finish out the year.
  Because it wasn't about the money, it was about the dog and doing the right
  thing.  And it wasn't even his dog.
  Is Jim perfect? Of course not.  But does he deserve the garbage that's been
  on the list recently?  Absolutely not.   He thinks what he thinks and will
  tell you so.  And his priorities have changed over the years...probably all
  of ours have...but his committment to this breed has never changed and never
  will.
  Sorry this was so long, hope you had the patience to read it, and will see
  the intent even if I didn't always get the words right.          Sheree
  PS Christine:  Jim is sorry he made ill-thought out comments about your
  dog's foreassembly many years ago, it was not well done of him, and if he
  caused you or Bart any unhappiness over this, both he and I are very sorry.
  But he was discussing what he saw as a structural issue about a dog, it was
  not a personal attack.  I think the comment about the poison KoolAid was way
  beyond the line.

  Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more..then map the best route!

http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag1&FORM=MGAC01<http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag1&FORM=MGAC01>

  For assistance, please contact the List Management at
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

  VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org<http://www.showgsd.org/>