[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDs in crisis California/Miami Dade

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:24:14 -0700

For example: If you have a good contract & get to know the prospective buyer
as best as possible by asking others that know them, what else can a person
do with all of the promises they make to the breeder? One time I let one of
my pet GSD puppies go off with this man who was fairly quiet & just seemed
to be okay but??? I just had an unsure feeling in the back of my mind about
this person. Then he comes to pick the puppy up to take home without a crate
in his open jeep. I said, "NO!" He said, "Look I got this set up here so the
baby will be safe. I don't have to go far." Okay, I let him go with the
puppy. Out of the six babies I sold from that litter this gentleman was the
best person of ALL of my puppy people. He would bring the dog every five to
six months to show me how he had grown & what he had trained him. He loved
that dog more than anything. And keep him in awesome condition. This guy
lived for this dog. So, here I was wrong about how I felt about this person.
And another puppy person who promised me the world with a bitch puppy I sold
was the most disappointing of all. I have nightmare stories about some of
those people that I was absolutely sure were the best for my babies. And the
one person I wasn't sure about was the BEST! So how can we know 100% what's
going to happen as time goes on with our dogs? Kathy Partch "JoKay's"

I understand the frustration when conscientious breeders try to fit the
right pup with the right family; however, one of the problems that I hear
about is the same as the over-protective rehoming organizations.  A person
wants a pup, and could possibly be a good owner, but gets turned off by the
over zealous breeder.
An example:  When I was looking for a pug as a Boat Dog (miss you, Tarsea
DaPug), every breeder to whom we traveled had a laundry list of what was
expected.  We ended up going to a home that had some cute Pug puppies and
bought one.

I think this happens more often than not.  Sure we don't want our pups to
end up in the wrong home and end up being given up to the pound.  But when
we turn away a prospective buyer who ~might~ be turned into a more caring
owner that he/she first present him/herself, are we contributing to those
less than conscientious breeders who has 9 pups in the shed, and just wants
to get them off the property?

Just asking. I ask to get opinion, not to force my opinion on others.

Stormy Hope