[ SHOWGSD-L ] GSDs in crisis California/Miami Dade

  • From: Michelle Wallis <midwall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 12:56:22 -0700

This issue isn't about where the dogs originate from per se, but the lines,
breeders and buyers behind them.
Responsible breeders cross examine their puppy buyers and make sure they are
placing the right dog with the right people. High drive dogs shouldn't go to
people who want low maintenance dogs. I have a dog I got from Evan that would
gladly take a tennis ball over a filet mignon. He will also rearrange the
furniture to get to his ball, or fly over a great dane at the dog park... one
track mind. Every guest in my house is greeted with a ball and a demand for the
ball to be tossed. Once started, this will not stop. ;-)
Responsible buyers interview breeders and educate themselves on the breed. They
ask a lot of questions and make an educated addition to their family.
The lines a dog comes from as well as the training and socialization a dog gets
dictate how that dog will behave. Sadly many people get a dog that is just too
much for them (mentally, physically, financially) and dump them.
I also have a rescue GSD - she was an inconvenience to the people who had her
before me. She was a raffle prize. She was physically and mentally abused. She
was basically starved. I was lucky the day she came into my life. She would not
have survived at the pound or most rescues. She had a lot of issues that needed
to be addressed. I am lucky she trusted me enough, eventually to work with her.
She became a therapy dog. So some dogs, with patience and love can be saved.
This is all on a case by case basis. Not all dogs can be saved. Sadly they were
too neglected and some damage can't be undone. The only solution I see is
education and honesty. Your dogs are what they are. GSDs are highly versatile -
but you can't make a couch potato out of sheep herding, tennis ball chasing,
high drive dog (well maybe for the duration of a nap).
So we need to educate our buyers and others. Our breed is only as good as the
people who stand behind and beside them.
Michelle Wallis