[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDs in crisis California/Miami Dade

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 15:40:10 -0400

Vicki writes: "    But the country of origin of a dog is not defining. Good
dogs/bad dogs from ALL countries. The truth is, in my opinion, a GSD with the
kind of temperament that I personally like for what I do is not suitable for
90% of the pet buyers. And it is not because they are aggressive.  It is
because they are brimming over with working ability and drive to do.   My dogs
have an off switch and are pleasant companions and socially very  acceptable.
But it is because they get a lot of mental and physical
stimulation. Lots of exercise, lots of training, lots of work.  And because
their genetic makeup is stable with inherited good character."

Vicki, this is so true.  I'd like to add one thing;  pet people often call us
wanting a big black&RED dog or puppy.  That's all they want in a GSD.  We will
not sell to someone like this whose only criteria for buying a GSD is its color
and size; however, there are plenty of BYBs/unscrupulous breeders who cater to
this type of prospective buyer.  They also reel them in with the "outstanding"
or "Champion" German pedigrees.  All too often,  there's perhaps a couple
"V-rated" dogs in that 4 or 5 generation "Champion German" pedigree.  It
doesn't matter because the prospective buyer has already "drunk the Kool Aid."

How to stop these dogs from ending up in shelters, I really don't have a clue.
I wish I did...

PaulETTE McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam