[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Eukenuba

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 09:20:28 -0500

Laura's right about the public perception of the breed.  Most of the
judges on this list are only GSD judges...the others are probably on the
Judges email list...
and the other day, a judge who is obviously preparing to apply for
Shepherds came on and, in a sort of oblique way, showed that she has the
same perception...here is part of what she had to say:  :
"I would like to "listen" to a discussion of the topline of the German
Shepherd.
...then she talked about Frank Dusek, which is what precipitated my
question yesterday.........and then she went on:   "after 9/11, I
noticed that the dogs policing O'Hare airport were also of the more
level backline. I stopped 3 different teams and asked the human the
origin of the dog, and why. All 3 were imports "because the American
German Shepherd cannot survive the cement floors".
I have a sweeps coming up, so it is time for me to attempt to resolve
the issue bouncing in my head. Bottom line is the STANDARD. The STANDARD
reads:  Topline The withers are higher than and sloping into the level
back. The back is straight, very strongly developed without sag or roach
and relatively short.
OK. So what does "level" mean? Spira says "Level back - One in which the
height at the withers is identical to that over the loins" Yes, loin,
not croup.
"Talk" to me please German Shepherd people. It seems to me that per the
STANDARD, Frank was correct, but what I see in the ring is soooooooo
different."

        Someone asked this person to do a sweeps, so she is talking to Shepherd
folks...but she doesn't understand the topline, the rear, etc.....this is
something we have to do to educate the public.  Just last week we had the
discussion right here on this list, too, amongst ourselves............

        The public and many judges think the breed is crippled and that at
best, doesn't conform to the Standard.  There has to be something we can do

Peggy