[ SHOWGSD-L ] Standard backlines....

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <GrnRam415@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 10:19:49 -0800

---- Original Message ----- From: Peggy *
Peggy writes:Laura's right about the public perception of the breed.  Most of
the judges on this list
are onlyGSD judges...the others are probably on the Judges email list...and the
other day, a judge
who is  obviously preparing to apply for Shepherds came on and, in a sort of
oblique way, showed
 that she has the same perception...here is part of what she had to say:  :"I
would like to "listen" to
a discussion of the topline of the German Shepherd.
...then she talked about Frank Dusek, which is what precipitated my question
yesterday.........and
then she went on:   "after 9/11, I   noticed that the dogs policing O'Hare
airport were also of the
more level backline. I stopped 3 different teams and asked the human the origin
of the dog, and
 why. All 3 were imports "because the American German Shepherd cannot survive
the cement floors".

  * Carolyn's opinion:
  Those "BLANKET STATEMENTS"   that come from those with the German lines are
what is
  causing the public perception of the American Bred dogs having problems.
The man handling
  the dog at O'Hare airport likely knows nothing about the Standard, or
bloodlines, or American
  Bred dogs as compared to German bred dogs......he is only repeating what he
is told!!
  ( likely by the source supplying the dogs )  <G>
  This is the kind of "MARKETING"  that is causing the faction and the public
perception of
  Am.Bred as being crippled sickly dogs.
  American Breeders don't take up the space on their web sites to bother
criticizing the German
  Bred dogs........but that cannot be said for most involved in German lines.
  A good American Bred dog can handle anything any good German bred dog
can.....but the
  tool of perception of a crippled dog has caused this mindset and faction
between the two.
  Most American Bred breeders don't take the time or space to slam the other
lines!!

  *  Peggy:.......
  I have a sweeps coming up, so it is time for me to attempt to resolve the
issue bouncing in my head.
  Bottom line is the STANDARD. The STANDARD reads:
  Topline The withers are higher than and sloping into the level back. The back
is straight, very strongly
   developed without sag or roach and relatively short.
  OK. So what does "level" mean? Spira says "Level back - One in which the
height at the withers is
  identical to that over the loins" Yes, loin, not croup."Talk" to me please
German Shepherd people.
  It seems to me that per the STANDARD, Frank was correct, but what I see in
the ring is soooooooo
  different."

  * Carolyn:
  I think the problem and disagreements ...even among ourselves ...concerning
the topline of a
  German Shepherd Dog lies in the quote you have from the Standard itself on
your post.
  i.e. "the withers are higher than and sloping into a level back".
continuing ..."the back is straight"...

   Okay....if the higher wither "SLOPES"....onto a "LEVEL back".
OOOPS...that's TWO ANGLES!!   .
  ( slope and level.  That would cause a 'junction'  ) the next sentence
begins...."the back is straight".
  AND THEN.... with the croup..... it continues at yet another angle as it says
 " long and gradually SLOPING".....OOOPS...another angle off the LEVEL  back?!
  Visualize....sloping wither,  level back,  sloping croup....I read that as
three angles...3 junctions.
  ( no drop of water will slowly roll off that kind of backline ) <G>
  Go ahead...use a ruler and see if you can get three angles without a point of
'junction'.....??
  Personally I hate to see a three piece topline with the three different
angles!

  I will never be convinced me that the "banana back"....or "carp back"   or
"roach back"  we see
  in the German bred dogs is what the Standard calls for either.....nor is the
3 angle topline this
  wording describes.   This is the part where interpretation comes into play I
guess.....

  As Breeders...."we" resolve this description in our breeding program by
trying to only breed
  the topline that is solid,  with a constant  subtle "straight-line slope"
from the beginning
  of the wither to the croup.....no sag, no angle change, no hump and no
breaks......and therefore
  no wasted action as the rear drive transmits that propelling drive from the
back to the front....
  propelling the dog forward  from the rear.

  * Peggy:
  Someone asked this person to do a sweeps, so she is talking to Shepherd
folks...but she doesn't understand the topline, the rear, etc.....this is
something we have to do to educate the public.  Just last week we had the
discussion right here on this list, too, amongst ourselves............
  The public and many judges think the breed is crippled and that at best,
doesn't conform to the Standard.
  There has to be something we can do about it....................Peggy

  *Carolyn:   Educate ourselves!!     I miss Tom Castriota's   "BREED BETTER
DOGS"!!!!!!  <G>

  P.S.  I wonder if Saluki people put up with this with the "hip bones"  or
Bull Dog people with....the
  "entire dog"  <G>  or Bassett breeders with "the legs".....or Daschund
breeders with the "long back"
  or Sharpei breeders with the "wrinkles".      Why do we feel so defensive for
this Breed?    What is
  'right' about people who look at GENEVA and look at a Black Lab and want them
to be the same??

  Tell them they ARE pets because they don't have the slope.....they don't need
to worry....<G>

  Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
  www.marhaven.com

  GrnRam415@xxxxxxx wrote:
  >Bob,
  >I can answer this.  I work with many, many GSD's in my obedience classes.
  >The GSD is a popular Breed, no argument about that.  Why?  Because people
are
  >looking for a dog with presence, a dog who will protect their family and
  >property and be good with the kids.  A dog who is intelligent and doesn't
eat/chew
  >everything in sight.  The GSD CAN and DOES do this.
  >
  >However, the general public does not like or trust the overly angulated
  >American line show dogs.  And, the general public wants the classic blk/tan.
 It