[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Entry fees

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 12:42:24 -0400 (EDT)

Interesting...I know who the BIG time handler/breeder/judge was <G>,  and I
read w/ interest Maryellen's article in the Review about dogs that can't
jump in the van (at specialties)....our entries declining, other breeds going
up  while we still are #2 in registrations...

I don't entirely buy the economy argument...the handling fees don't help,
but other breeds find a way...and have you taken a child skiing lately?
Easily a $200 day, more if you eat/drink in the lodge. Anything you do for
recreation is expensive...

I've not had extreme dogs, and for the life of me I don't know how those
that do sell puppies into pet homes...I just sent a nice family to a  couple
in their state (no names) and they sent back an e-mail asking  what on
earth was wrong with the dogs' back legas?  Now, I can discuss our  standard
with the best of them, and although most don't breed "just" to make  companion
puppies, you have to be able to do something with the puppies you  don't
keep....

And to those who knock AB shows...try staying for the groups.  It's a  very
different atmosphere and wow (!!!!) have I learned a lot  from breeders in
other breeds.

:

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 4/4/2012 12:25:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I'm  reading this thinking about how a new person would view this. $50. to
enter, a  handler fee and expenses and then if they didn't win...do you
really think  they would come back?
and if they did, how many times would  they have to lose before they lost
interest?
I also think the  comments about the excellent quality of the dogs at the
specialties was  interesting.   I was just at a speciality and overheard a
big time  handler remark that if the  "dogs in the ring were in a pet owners
backyard,  the neighbor would be asking what's wrong with the German
Shepherd?".
While I understand the "neighbor" is not  knowledgable about German
Shepherds,  I think the handler makes a valid  point.  So, if you're that
newbie
who just spent $200. for a dog show,  and your neighbor is asking "whats the
matter with your dog? "    What do you think the newbie is going to do?  He
can't point out all the  wonderful champions in his dog's pedigree, because
his neighbor is already  laughing at him and acting like he's a dumbass for
buying into this.   Just something to think about.  Sue  T.
POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.