[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dogs DO NOT bond!

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 05:34:26 -0800 (PST)

They just did a test on elephants to see if they have a sense of self by
marking an elephant with a white X on it's head with paint.  The elephant stood
in front of the mirror and after seeing it's reflection, tried to remove it.

  I do believe that elephants are smarter than dogs....but I think that a
similar test would be something that you could try on your dog.

  Cindy
  www.cinosamgsd.com

  MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:
  I don't. The most simple test is the mirror test. Maybe some dogs DO have a
sense of self, but every dog I have seen, including my own who is very smart
and quite the problem solver, looks into the mirror and doesn't show any
inclination that they know it's them.
Some just sit and stare or seem disinterested, others bark at it and wag
their tails, and others try to engage the reflection in the mirror. To me that
says there's no sense of self. Sense of self is recognizing who one's self is
and having aspirations, and while dogs are highly intelligent and wonderful
creatures, I have not seen any inkling that dogs have a sense of self.
In a message dated 11/12/2006 9:41:51 PM Central Standard Time,
karekedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I think that would be a very hard thing to prove or disprove
I don't. The most simple test is the mirror test. Maybe some dogs DO have a
sense of self, but every dog I have seen, including my own who is very smart
and quite the problem solver, looks into the mirror and doesn't show any
inclination that they know it's them.

Some just sit and stare or seem disinterested, others bark at it and wag
their tails, and others try to engage the reflection in the mirror. To me that
says there's no sense of self. Sense of self is recognizing who one's self is
and having aspirations, and while dogs are highly intelligent and wonderful
creatures, I have not seen any inkling that dogs have a sense of self.

In a message dated 11/12/2006 9:41:51 PM Central Standard Time,
karekedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I think that would be a very hard thing to prove or disprove

- Jackie

Marcato Shepherds
Where it's about function, not flash

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com