[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dogs DO NOT bond!

  • From: "Liz" <RockyLizard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:58:56 -0700

I know probably everyone on this list is very aware of the goofiness of the
conclusions the gentleman in the article came to, but I have to share my own
experience with my dogs having "problem-solving skills".

My Ch Ivan (may he rest in peace) was a tennis ball nut.  He was a terrific
retriever too.  My Boss grandson Raji happened to grab Ivan's tennis ball
one day when we were out playing in the yard.  Ivan, being the gentleman he
was, wasn't going to attack Raj to get the ball back.  He looked back and
forth between me and Raj a few times, then ran over to me and started loving
on me...licking me and waggling and circling and all over being goofy...so
of course I gave him what he wanted, petting and ruffing his fur and having
fun.  The whole time this is going on, Ivan kept glancing at Raji.  Raji
finally couldn't stand it any more and dropped the tennis ball and came
running over to get his share of the loves from mom too.  The second he left
the ball, Ivan pounced on it and then trotted off, head and tail up like
"HAHA you fell for it!".

You can't tell me he didn't figure that Raji would decide that loves from
mom were worth more than a tennis ball.  Not only that, he planned and took
actions to further the plan, getting me to hand out the lovin'.

So...this guy who thinks dogs don't do anything they haven't been trained to
do...is apparently blind and deaf.

Ivan was the smartest dog I ever raised, until I bred Solo. Solo's mom was
Kela (double Egoiste granddaughter) that I co-own with Patti in Phoenix.  I
bred her to Jim and Edie Hall's German dog Sammy vom Drachenberg and Solo
was the result.  Solo is SCARY smart.

Liz in Utah