[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DM...awful thing

  • From: Linda H. <stjamesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>, showgsd list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:23:54 -0400

Cynthia, I have a 10 year old male that I think is suffering from DM.  I have
had German Shepherds since 1971 and have never had a problem.  With my last
litter I did an outcross to a nearby champion.  When the litter was 8 weeks old
the owner of the sire made a special trip to see the puppies.  She checked all
of their bites which we thought was odd.  Two of the pups that I sold to
friends as show prospects ended up with parrot mouths!  I guess she knew what
she was looking for but never told me.  About a year and a half ago, my boy got
out and got into some nasty water going after a loose dog.  I gave him a good
bath and then shortly thereafter he had seizures.  I took him to the vet and
they had no idea what could have caused it.  It just ended up being called
idiopathic epilepsy.  He eventually had to be put on phenobarbitol and then
another drug as that one did not control the seizures.  In the meantime, the
male with the parrot mouth in Florida also had seizures shortly after my boy.
His owner was able to treat him with homeopathic medications and he has been
seizure free.   Shortly after my boy started on the second medication (generic
Keptra), he started getting wobbly in the hocks and he never was before.
Months later he is now having trouble controlling his rear at all.  I took him
back to the vet and she checked him out and was really impressed with his good
hips but was not sure what was wrong without a $2,000 MRI.  We tried a dose of
prednisone but that did no good so I did not continue it.  The vet also said
that aif the medication was responsible for his condition that it would have
shown up sooner rather than gradually as this has done. I had asked for one of
the DM kits from Morgan when he had a bunch but he never sent me one.  I wish I
had been able to test him then.  I have had only 7 GSD litters since my first
in 1986 and have never had any health problems other than a few cases of bloat
in my own dogs.  My Chance's mother and grandmother both lived to be well over
13 and never had any health issues other than the grandmother had a mammary
tumor.  His mother was highly inbred and had no health issues at all.  We were
always concerned when outcrossing because some people are just not to be
trusted.  When I bred the litter the grandmother came out of the owner of the
sire thought there was a heart problem and did not make me pay a stud fee and
was very concerned about the litter and their health.  Some people are honest.
 I love this boy dearly and he is the last of my line.  I never had much
success in the show ring but I bred dogs that were sound in mind and body and I
never had any trouble placing puppies.  I just learned recently that one of
Chance's mother's first litter passed away at age 12 1/2.  I think one of that
litter may have bloated but he was at the time owned by a crazy woman and she
had had him treated for previous illness but this time she let him die under
her kitchen table and did not take him in because she had to go to school about
her son.  Needless to say, she is on the no way will you ever get another dog
from me list.  She also has the other parrot mouth dog and she is still OK as
far as I know. It is very hard to see my boy like this.  He does not understand
the seizures and looks real sad when he has one.  At least I have read that DM
is not painful to the dogs.  I don't know how much longer I can see him like
this.  I put my first shepherd down at age 11.  He developed hip displaysia at
an early age and had surgery at age one.  He got along pretty well with his
hippity hop gate but I made my mind up that when the day came that he could not
get up by himself that it was time for him to go.  He was purchased in Hawaii
and I have recently found out that his famous grandfather produced a lot of bad
hips. The lines I got into here were very old ones.  They came from Marge
Luszki (Waldmar) and Bill and Wilma Williams (Wileln).  They were not famous by
any means but had sound dogs. If you are interested in any names or any more
info, please let me know. Linda HendrixSt James ShepherdsLin Chi Tibetan
Spaniels