[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DM Testing

  • From: Ken Tank <tanksr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 10:14:16 -0700

The problem is the type of DM this test is researching does not involve
sensory loss. The type of Degenerative Myelopathy developed by German
Shepherd Dogs involves total sensory loss. The Univ. of Missouri is lumping
all DM together so no research money is going to research German Shepherd
Dog DM.
Even if you test you still know nothing. This test is giving false hope and
you may be passing on false hope to buyers. The test could be premature and
damage gene pools with no positive results.
Someone mentioned the petition to get the University of Missouri to
research GSD DM....here is the link (again if already posted).

http://www.change.org/petitions/ofa-university-of-missouri-dna-dm-test-designations#

Ken