[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DM Testing

  • From: Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 09:49:57 -0700

Diane,
I too think it is cool they have found the allele for this.  Great.
Problem, the GSDM specific for our breed is not being tested for.  The GSDM
is a sensory loss disease , and it is unique to this breed.
The DM being tested for is an ALS type DM in other breeds that does NOT
involve
sensory loss, and does not pertain to GSDs.
Dr. Clemmons of U of Fla was very clear on this.
It is great to have this "tool" but if it is the wrong "tool" for your
"project" it is of very little value.  If the "tool" has been shown to
be faulty, and comes with a disclaimer, why does the patent holder
continue to sell it?

We are not trying to sway anyone in any direction.  We are trying to make
sure
people have all the known facts, all sides so they may use that to make an
educated
decision.

In Europe , there is NO GSD club including the SV , the worlds largest and
most powerful
club , that just happens to pertain to our breed.. lol, endorse NO DM test
because of inaccuracy.

Also it is estimated that 75% of German Shepherds carry the allele.   So
you are then going to eliminate
them from a given program?  That leaves you with only 25 % (and with the
false clear results , probably not
even that much) to choose from.   That is very disturbing for the breed as
it eliminates genetic diversity
on an already too inbred, too linebred , breed.   Baby and bathwater.

I for one will not use the test nor give it any weight in selection  or
de-selection of breeding
partners until they have a test that has been studied longterm, and
generationally for reliability of
diagnoses (which can only be done by spinal necropsy) and prediction of
clinical outcomes.

There are many things that mimic DM, cancer, cysts, infections, cauda
equina, injury to discs, on
and on.   DM can only be confirmed through necropsy.   How many necropsies
have been done
in relation to finding an A/A "at risk" to determine reliability and
percentage?   How come
there have been false clear results?

To eliminate dogs from a program because of one gene out of thousands to me
is
very dangerous for the breed.
But this is a personal choice, based on looking at the whole thing.  Your
results (mileage) may vary , lol
Best regards
Kathy

*http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com*