[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DM Testing

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: RopajaGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 06:38:39 -0400 (EDT)

I agree with you Pauline.

For the record, I have had a couple (count on one hand, fingers left  over)
 "puppy people" ask.  If you believe the tests recognized by  OFA, I should
have had puppies that would never develop DM in the last several  litters,
however, I don't trust the test and therefore I don't make that  promise.  I
tell anyone who asks that the test isn't there yet in my  opinion.

Heck, I'm delighted when people ask for OFA lol, usually it's "how big will
 they get" and lately a lot of people want silver....sigh.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 5/24/2012 9:53:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
RopajaGSD@xxxxxxx writes:

But  Barb....it appears that you are basing your premise on a test that has

been proven to be unreliable.. I understand what you have laid out and I
agree  with it to a point....but it would only be true if the test  were
valid....and  that is my ONLY issue....I am not against testing,  I am not
against
research....I am against using a test that is  unreliable and then using
those  results as a tool in decision  making.  Naturally those whose dogs
are
currently testing CLEAR  want to believe that the tests are valid...any
breeder  would; on the  other hand those whose dogs have NOT tested
CLEAR...do not
want to   believe that the tests are valid...nor would anyone...when in
fact
either  or  both could be false.....the bottom line is still...that at this

point in time,  the tests are not reliable...whether the results are  clear
or
not or somewhere  in between....I have no issue with  breeders testing as
part of the PROCESS of  validating this test and  of course updating the
research group on the life  health of the dogs  tested...my issue has been
from my
first post...that this  test at  this time is not reliable and to use it as
if it were is not a very   solid foundation to stand on...and that is the
end
of my opinion...and you  can  all say AMEN! or whatever....

Pauline Moon  -  _www.ropajagsd.com_ (http://www.ropajagsd.com/)
Ropaja German   Shepherds:Member-GSDCAmercia & GSDCAtlanta - Best In Show
AKC JAM/AOE/  BISS  CH Ropaja's Chateau Beaujolais OFA HIC; BISS AKC CH
Ropaja's  Chateau Beaulieu  OFA HIC; Multi BOB & GRP W AKC CH. Ropaja's Je
Suis
Fleur De Lis;  Multi-BOB & GRP W AKC CH Ropaja's Je Suis  Gabrielle.

In a message dated 5/24/2012 9:24:09 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,

Msg: #8   in digest
Subject: Re: DM Testing
From:  barbara17236@xxxxxxx
Date:  Thu, 24 May 2012 21:23:09 -0400  (EDT)

If the parents are tested as one  being CLEAR and the other  as CARRIER, no
AFFECTED pups should result.   If BOTH parents  are CLEAR, no pups should
be
AFFECTED.    If  one parent is  CLEAR and the other is AFFECTED, no
AFFECTED
pups should result   (they will all be CARRIERS).

So, unless you are breeding  two  AFFECTED dogs together, or two CARRIERS
together,  no pups  need to be  euthanized.

Barb Hively - PA
DNA.   It's what makes a  white, a German   Shepherd

POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.