[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Can't help them all

  • From: "R. Steiner" <mobilegrmr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 19:32:34 -0500

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Sally Hayden <sallyhayden5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At the Topeka national I was in my booth talking with a couple friends. We
> were discussing why
> My .agility/performance design was not selling. I felt it was a good looking
> sweatshirt. A lady who I did not know was standing there with her dog
> listening. She finally asked if I wanted her opinion . Yes I did. She
> informed me I had put a conformation dog coming out of the tunnel . The
> agility dogs don't look like that they look  like this. And she pointed to
> her dog. And she would never buy anything that had a dog like that on it.

OK I have to throw in my 2 cents.  You guys are laughing and rolling
your eyes, but you actually were given a good answer to your question!

I do many different competitions with my dogs (German working lines)
except for conformation. My dogs don't look like the dogs in the
conformation ring.  You think your dogs look better, and I happen to
think mine look better. Hey whatever.  But one thing for sure, I am
far more likely to buy the sweatshirt if the dog in the design looks
like my dogs.  If you don't care about selling to performance people,
then that's fine.....but absolutely if there are 2 shirts with GSDs on
them I'll buy the shirt where the dogs look like mine.  From a
business perspective it might be a good idea to take that into
consideration.

> I  am sure this was a wonderful pet that she loved very much but it had no
> resemblance to the standard at all.  I thought my friends would bust waiting
> for my answer.

There's a certain condescending tone to the whole "I'm sure the dog is
a wonderful pet" comment.....I've been on the receiving end of it
myself.  I remember one day outside a conformation ring, someone
pointed to my beautiful bicolor puppy and said "Obedience dog, right?"
  Yes.....a beautiful obedience dog, who does actually meet the
standard.

> There was no way  I could have changed her mind  it was closed.   Some times
> you just can't help people who have all the answers

There are a lot of performance people who say exactly the same thing!

Just food for thought here........

--Regina and the GSDs
PAM Mike SchH2 UDX TD RE VER
PAM Ianna von Sontausen UDX TD BH RE PT FGDCh
and von Sontausen Holy Grail (The Bunny!) RN, 2/3 ASCA RNX