[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bloat - how sad is this....

  • From: barbmarkh@xxxxxxx
  • To: fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 00:39:02 -0500

I totally disagree . . . . . some dogs are just natual showman - love
the people, love running around the ring and love the applause . . . .
Flash loved being the center of attention and both Scoop and Buddy love
to fly around the ring and hear the people cheer and a lot of their off
spring do the same thing.  And both Flash and Scoop are AOE with both
obedience and rally titles - all three did herding, tracking, rally and
agility . . . .
I'm sure that some of the dogs we show don't enjoy being in the ring -
and you can tell watching them - but for  the most part - unsound dogs
are nervous no matter what you are doing with them . . . .

Barb

Here is something to think about. We want a show dog to be UP in the
show ring.
If you take a really sound dog once or twice around the ring he knows
what the
area looks like, knows where you are or are not. He knows that this is
all that
is going to happen in the ring and will do what is asked of him. He can
gait but
he is not showy. We want to see showy, we demand showy, We pay big
bucks to
have our show dogs  handled by professionals so that they look even
more showy.
We put side gait ahead of soundness because soundness can get in the
way of
really showy. Mr Showy may tend to be a little edgy or worried most of
the time.
Showy goes to many shows,spends may hour
s in a crate and may even have
a little
help to be even more showy. So we are suppose to be surprised that they
have a
few stress related problems.

I would agree that temperament has a lot to do with a dogs general
health.
Stress will kill you if you don't handle it well. I am sure it will do
the same
to a dog.

[...]
have a=0
few stress related problems.

Considering what we but them through for the sake of  human ego
enhancement,
(the dog could care less if it is a champion) I would say that for the
most part
the breed is OK.

Terry