[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bloat - how sad is this....

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:04:23 -0800 (PST)

Let's take a moment,
All our dogs, every GSD on the planet, comes from the same 5 dogs.  3 bitches
and 2 dogs.  Now do you really think any of our dogs are NOT prone to bloat?

If my Bertha, short coupled, pretty square and not any more deep bodied than
she could need to be, bloated, then ANY GSD can bloat.

The only thing that can influence this is the care.  Bertha bloated after
stress and not pooping before a meal.  She should have just had a big fart, but
she bloated instead.

Care is all we have that stands between us and the death of our dogs.  I messed
up with Bertha, too many things happening all at the same time, but she lives.

As for any 'big handler' having to tube dogs on the road, it hardly matters who
it is, it is the care the dogs get.  So if you want to know who it is, take a
look at the vans that show up and see how the dogs in the van look.

I have watched many handlers through the years, and there are some that I trust
beyond words and some that I won't let hold my pets.  We should not need to
name names, we should be looking at how our dogs are cared for when they are
not with us.  If you trust your handler blindly, without making sure at least
now and then that the standard of care, both at the handlers kennel and on the
road, you like to gamble.

You never know until you know.

I know of a kennel, no longer in business, that lost 3 dogs from one litter
between the ages of 2 and 4, I know of many related dogs that are just fine.  I
say the care was suspect, and that is that.  I never left a dog with this
kennel, after the first death I was done.

I screwed up with Bertha, trusting my family to get her to poop before dinner.
However, I have not let that happen again!!!!

So, all our dogs CAN bloat, it is a matter of doing what we each think is
right.  Some like the raw diet, some like what I do, kibble and water to be
sure things can move and I feed twice a day no matter what.  We all do what we
hope is right, and pray our dogs don't bloat.

I spent $3700 to save Bertha.  I was lucky she could be saved.

Now this is my OPINION and nothing more,
sheila

From: terraf <Terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bloat - how sad is this....
To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 10:13 AM

Oh seems weird you would post that then.  Thought you knew something that would
benefit the LIST not just stir something that may or may not be informational.
Terra Fairburn & Nanc Kinley
Keggi Fair German Shepherds
www.keggifair.com (UPDATED)
members of the GSDC of Quad Cities & GSDCA
www.gsdcqc.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Cinosam GSD"
<cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>