[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Amateur Futurity

  • From: Stormy Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: List List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 19:25:20 -0700

Do they have a smaller ring for the Amateur Futurists?

<G>

And Junior Handlers, no matter how experienced they are or how often
they beat pro handlers, can still enter the Amateur Futurity ring, and
have the added advantage of being able to go in BOTH rings.
Professional Handlers cannot.  I haven't read the rules on that (not
until they get a smaller ring LOL), but how are the pro handlers kept
from the Amateur ring?

Stormy

On Aug 11, 2012, at 6:17 PM, Scharo777@xxxxxxx wrote:

This is not just for Juniors -  it is for all newcomers to the breed,
for
those who have families who cannot afford a handler for a "match" and
for
others who save their pennies for points.

But I support Juniors right now by paying the way of several to the
National.

Carol

In a message dated 8/11/2012 7:47:41 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 8/11/2012 1:03:47 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Scharo777@xxxxxxx writes:
What I  don't understand is the  animosity against the Amateur
Futurity.

I support  all the Juniors.  This year I incorporated an organization
provide a prize to the Best Junior. Each Junior who enters the National
will
be given a gold pin to wear all during the show, then each  class winner
will
be  awarded a medallion on a ribbon. The winner  will get a large gold
and
blue  medal.

At the after show  dinner there will be a plaque and US Saving bond
for the

Best Junior  Handler in trust for when they turn 18.

(I am still accepting  donations, please consider it.  All money will
go
directly to  the winners, all expenses will be donated by me).
Juniors  by

definition are our top amateurs.

But, the Junior handler I have  worked with, started in the regular
shows
against the top handlers,  and with no limitations on the competition.
She
showed  for months  without any wins, but she watched, learned and grew.
With
time and   knowledge she became a talented handler and after one year of
hard
work, Summer has finished two champions.

She did handle in the  amateur futurity for someone,and did well. But,
it
was the challenge  of competing with the top handlers who allowed her to
grow
into the  young professional she is today. She is now 11, and will
challenge
anyone  in the ring, and do it well.  At age nine she claimed all she
wanted  to do was beat Mr. Bill. At that show she took her first  major
from the
12 to 18  class.  She prevailed over all the top  handlers.

At the National this year she will show a Special in both  dogs and
bitches.  Had she been limited to the amateur  futurity, or Junior
Handlers,  she
would still be there not where she  is today.

I have never seen the need for the amateur futurity.   But, I certainly
support Carol and all the work she does.  We  should always encourage
showing
in all ways. I just don't want to  lower the bar, to encourage less
effort.

But, I am probably  wrong.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and  Temperament  come  together