[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Amateur Futurity

  • From: ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, GSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:47:53 -0700 (PDT)

Donna, you make some valid points, but in my bitch's case, she went Reserve in
her regular futurity. Do I then tell Jake that he can't show in the amateur
futurity, because his dog won the day before. That would sure keep new handlers
excited about showing. A different day, a different dog show and a different
handler can make for different results. If the same dog always won, the rest of
us may as well stay home. The maturity bitch Jake showed hasn't gone to her
maturity yet. What then?  Do we really want to make it so if a dog is really
good, it can't be shown in the amateur venue. I would hope not.Also would the
entry fee be refunded?  I am always interested in new people that want to show.
 I have let juniors show good young puppies at shows, when they are getting
started. A couple years ago, I needed a handler for my futurity bitch and Terry
Hower's grandson ,Travis, was there. He really wants to show too. He took her
in the TA class competing with the top handlers in
 the country and he won. The rules need to stipulate who is and isn't eligible.
That's it. Ann
Donna Graham <dgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Content-Type: Text/Plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
=0D
If dogs that hadn't been entered in the regular futurity hadn't been
entered there would have basically been no amateur futurity. =0D
=0D
Ann=0D
=0D
=0D
I don't agree with this statement. Now grant it alot of the dogs that w=
ere
entered in the amateur =0D
Venue were Also in the regular futurity this year but I think that had a
lot more to do with seeing how things were going to work out with the
amateur venue and there were only a few that wanted to give it a try.=0D
=0D
I think it would be better if we had to choose which venue to participat=
in. That way the same animal isn't winning both and it gives someone
else a chance to take another quality=0D
Animal on to the national. =0D
=0D
Or enter both but if your animal does win in the regular futurity (BIF=
,
BOF, or any of the reserves)=0D
Then they are no longer eligible to=0D
Compete for the amateur division. Somewhat like the Novice class if you
win a point you no longer compete in novice. I think that would make i=
more fair for the dogs AND handlers=0D
It would be a little more encouraging to be in an amateur setting knowing
your not competing with=0D
Yesterdays Big winners. =0D
=0D
As far as limiting who can can handle any amateur should be ok (Don't
think judges should be included )=0D
=0D
Why not on the Amateur entry form have a statement such as they do with =
the
Junior handlers=0D
=0D
It states : By signing the entry form I certify that the Junior Showma=
does not now, and will not at any time , act as an agent/handler for pay
while continuing to compete in Junior Showmanship=0D
=0D
I'm sure this could be reworded to fit the amateur entries somehow.=0D
=0D
Just a few thoughts.=0D
=0D
Donna

Ann , Home of Sel Ex Ch Mechanical Bull and #1 Dam I've Got It All ROM
     Breeder-Owner of 62 Champions and 18 ROMs
 www.edangsd.com